was really looking forward to this, but it is really boring. too bad.

You can say that again, awful was more along my line of thinking. The production is really terrible as well.

You can say that again, awful was more along my line of thinking. The production is really terrible as well.

it just feels "soul-less". the organ sounds good though.

it just feels "soul-less". the organ sounds good though.

Absolutely, very dry. I don't know the DBT's at all but this is not going to get me to check em out, the drums really are what brought it down for me. Oh, well I guess there are slew of other releases to look forward too this year.

I actually like it quite a bit. Maybe you just have shitty taste in music?

What is it that you like?

it's not BAD, but considering all parties involved I expected it to be insanely great, which it's not

Sure its not BAD but its awfully vanilla. If those names weren't involved I doubt we'd even have herd this thing came out.

What is it that you like?

I like the sound and feel of it. The guitar work is excellent and, to my ears, it's a good listen. I've always been impressed with DBT's musical prowess and the Brad Morgan drumming. Add in Booker T's keys work and a Tom Waits cover and it works for me. Not too many instrumental albums that I can get behind.

If those names weren't involved I doubt we'd even have herd this thing came out.

I don't disagree with that.

Personally, I struggle with an entire album that's purely instrumental. It's hard for me to fully embrace something with no vocals whatsoever. I understand the parties all recorded their segments separately. That might have some thing to do with what someone described as the "soulless" feel it has. I also agree with the person who said if Booker T, Neil Young, and Drive-By Truckers were not listed as having recorded this, nobody would really care about it in the 1st place. It's not bad and it's not great.

Personally, I struggle with an entire album that's purely instrumental. It's hard for me to fully embrace something with no vocals whatsoever. I understand the parties all recorded their segments separately. That might have some thing to do with what someone described as the "soulless" feel it has. I also agree with the person who said if Booker T, Neil ?Young, and Drive-By Truckers were not listed as having recorded this, nobody who really care about it in the 1st place. It's not bad and it's not great.

Did not know this was not recorded as an ensemble. Can anyone think of album that was put together with all parties recording their parts separately and it turning out good?

Did not know this was not recorded as an ensemble. Can anyone think of album that was put together with all parties recording their parts separately and it turning out good?

The Postal Service. Although I'm sure its "goodness" is debatable, I enjoy it.

I don't think it's raw, gritty or loud enough. Maybe to Booker T it is. But for me, it doesn't really accomplish those goals.

I thought it was raw (poorly mixed) and loud, obnoxiously loud.

Another interview, this one on huffingtonpost.com: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adrianne-mur...a_b_183752.html

Q: What's a "Potato Hole"?

A: The original reference was from when slaves would dig a hole in the floor of their homes to keep the food cool. This album is my place where I've deposited my cool stuff. The tune has got a little bit of a hip-hop beat, and a little jazz in other parts. And there are other parts that are just straight rock.