Levon is also going out on tour, something I assume he has not done in a very long time. He is playing Chicago in June and tickets are on sale soon.

For more specifics....you know...

LouieB

Levon is also going out on tour, something I assume he has not done in a very long time. He is playing Chicago in June and tickets are on sale soon.

For more specifics....you know...

LouieB

He played here last summer opening for Phil Lesh at Charter one. It was supposed to rain hard that day and the venue was empty when Levon went on, even so he gave it his all. A fantastic set. If your a fan of the band or americana in general his show is not to be missed.

I wonder how well Levon's voice holds up on tour. I heard him opening for Phil Lesh last summer and he sounded ok, but more recently Levon sat in for 3 or 4 songs with the Allman Brothers during their residency in NYC in March and Levon's voice was in rough shape and sounded very weak. Maybe he had a cold? :unsure

I wonder how well Levon's voice holds up on tour. I heard him opening for Phil Lesh last summer and he sounded ok, but more recently Levon sat in for 3 or 4 songs with the Allman Brothers during their residency in NYC in March and Levon's voice was in rough shape and sounded very weak. Maybe he had a cold? :unsure

Possibly I believe he had throat cancer. Something with his throat, which initially led to his retirement. His drumming was on point though. I saw a webcast though of him sitting in with Ratdog on "She Belong To Me" and he was so off beat my jaw hit the ground, once bob got done the first verse or two or he turned around and started telling levon something (id imagine it was about his playing) and suddenly it got smooth.

He played here last summer opening for Phil Lesh at Charter one. It was supposed to rain hard that day and the venue was empty when Levon went on, even so he gave it his all. A fantastic set. If your a fan of the band or americana in general his show is not to be missed.

I saw Levon and Rick Danko play drunk to a few people several years back....

I would guess Levon gets alots of vocal back-up help from his band (his daughters??) rather than shouldering the entire thing. I would hope so anyway. It would be a shame if he lost his voice again through over use.

LouieB

I saw Levon and Rick Danko play drunk to a few people several years back....

I would guess Levon gets alots of vocal back-up help from his band (his daughters??) rather than shouldering the entire thing. I would hope so anyway. It would be a shame if he lost his voice again through over use.

LouieB

I attended a Midnight Ramble in Woodstock, N.Y. a year ago January. His voice does very well. He looks a bit frail but solid. If anything, it appeared his arms gave out before his voice did. He played the first part on mandolin, then moved to the drum kit (Which is set sideways at the front of the stage, facing the assembled musicians. At one point his arm cramped and one of the "handlers" came over and massaged it out, and he was back at it.

At that show people there said it was the first time he'd played "The Weight" live in at least 15 years. I think he was singing, but everyone else was drowning him out.

The first time I saw him was an early Ramble and he didn't/couldn't sing at all. The second time he sang a couple songs and let his band do the rest. The last one was about 6 months ago, and he was going strong until close to the end of the night when his voice just lost its strength. I think they take this into account when they plan the setlists though. Larry Campbell, and his daughter Amy share a good deal of the singing duties. It's more like an ensemble than anything.

Even without having a serious illness, Helm is 68 and can't sing all night long anymore. Hopefully he brings a load of great folks to back him up.

His other records are good, particulary his first solo record with the RCO All Stars which includes Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Duck Dunn, Booker T, Steve Croppper and a nice horn session. His second, also features Steve Cropper and Berry Beckett. American Son is more Nashville oriented with the cream of the session guys, including Buddy Emmons, Kenny Buttrey, Pig Hargus. I find this one the least interesting. All of them I found used over the years for next to nothing (before the great vinyl resurgence). I assume they are out of print now but I am sure the intrepid record seeker can find them, but the first one is the most worthwhile.

LouieB

Even without having a serious illness, Helm is 68 and can't sing all night long anymore. Hopefully he brings a load of great folks to back him up.

This is true, but he has gradually been getting stronger, not weaker. He really needed to retrain his vocal cords and his lungs after he beat the cancer.

And hey, I just saw Ted Neely in a production of Jesus Christ Superstar a couple weeks ago....he's 66 and hit every rock opera note that he hit in the movie version 35 years ago!!

His other records are good, particulary his first solo record with the RCO All Stars which includes Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Duck Dunn, Booker T, Steve Croppper and a nice horn session. His second, also features Steve Cropper and Berry Beckett. American Son is more Nashville oriented with the cream of the session guys, including Buddy Emmons, Kenny Buttrey, Pig Hargus. I find this one the least interesting. All of them I found used over the years for next to nothing (before the great vinyl resurgence). I assume they are out of print now but I am sure the intrepid record seeker can find them, but the first one is the most worthwhile.

LouieB

thanks. i checked out one of his self-titled albums and it was a bit rough. i do like the RCA allstars live set from new years 77.

The first time I saw him was an early Ramble and he didn't/couldn't sing at all. The second time he sang a couple songs and let his band do the rest. The last one was about 6 months ago, and he was going strong until close to the end of the night when his voice just lost its strength. I think they take this into account when they plan the setlists though. Larry Campbell, and his daughter Amy share a good deal of the singing duties. It's more like an ensemble than anything.

When I saw him, Amy did not sing and Campbell wasn't there that night -- guitarist from Conan O'brian's show was there and he rocked; they also have the octagenarian black harp player in bright primary-color suits do several numbers. It is a great ensemble feel. But I agree, he is getting stronger.

Oh yeah, Little Sammy Davis! That guy's a character! :lol

When I was there he had the Conan guy too, as well as an awesome female black soul singer. I think her name was Alexis P. Suter. Something like that. And Amy and her band Ollabelle played too. They were part of Levon's ensemble as well.

Oh yeah, Little Sammy Davis! That guy's a character! :lol

When I was there he had the Conan guy too, as well as an awesome female black soul singer. I think her name was Alexis P. Suter. Something like that. And Amy and her band Ollabelle played too. They were part of Levon's ensemble as well.

Alexis Suter is incredible. More a baritone blues signer. We got to talk with her after the show, she has some serious gospel roots. We bought one of her CDs. There was another opening band that was pretty nondescript, but she was, wow.

thanks. i checked out one of his self-titled albums and it was a bit rough. i do like the RCA allstars live set from new years 77.

RCO..easy mistake to make, I almost said RCA when writing this the other day...if you can find a copy of that studio album it is worth your time. Not sure which other one you listened to, but the other two I have are not as good.

LouieB

You're right, not sure why I said soul. Probably because I wasn't paying attention to myself. :lol

She had quite a range, I wouldn't rule out "soul." It's a fine line ...

I just loved Woodstock though. We went in the dead of winter -- late January. So we missed the tourists. Great restaurants, colorful (surpisingly not overwhelmingly liberal) people, a few definitely living off 60s residue. Had a great eclectic radio station there that sounded like it was out of Northern Exposure.

I went in winter too...I think it was 4 years ago. It was a totally unique experience, and I'd do it again in a second if it didn't cost so damn much money. Woodstock is wonderful. I would live there if it weren't so far away from everything.