Will the new album be a single "LP"?

I noticed that the entry on Wilcoworld reads "New Wilco LP Completed".

Anyone else wonder whether this might indicate that the new album will actually fit on a single LP record? I realize that nowadays the term "LP" may be just a synonym for "album", in no particular medium. But it would be cool (and convenient) if the whole thing fits on one record.

SPA

It might, but that doesn't mean it will. The audiophile pressings come on two discs to avoid inner groove distortion and so forth...

Yep.

I was thinking that if it is a single record, I'll really have to figure out how to minimize inner groove distortion on my turntable. I know Wilco's last three albums were released as double LPs, but it would have been really tough to squeeze any of those onto a single vinyl record, as each ran well over 50 minutes. So they really had no choice but to make them double LPs. As you said, avoiding inner groove distortion is a big advantage of doing a double LP, but a single LP would be great too, provided it doesn't much compromise fidelity.

SPA

Yep.

I was thinking that if it is a single record, I'll really have to figure out how to minimize inner groove distortion on my turntable. I know Wilco's last three albums were released as double LPs, but it would have been really tough to squeeze any of those onto a single vinyl record, as each ran well over 50 minutes. So they really had no choice but to make them double LPs. As you said, avoiding inner groove distortion is a big advantage of doing a double LP, but a single LP would be great too, provided it doesn't much compromise fidelity.

SPA

If this is an issue you're having in general - then below is a decent starting reference on this topic, written in layman's terms. It explains the geometry theory of different alignment methods. If you want a better (but much more technical) reference, PM me and I can dig up/scan some articles for you.

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

If this is an issue you're having in general - then below is a decent starting reference on this topic, written in layman's terms. It explains the geometry theory of different alignment methods. If you want a better (but much more technical) reference, PM me and I can dig up/scan some articles for you.

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

Thanks Sarchi! That article looks helpful- I'll take a closer look at it when I get a chance. I've only had my turntable for a couple of months but I am loving it, and always looking for ways to improve the sound.

SPA

I always found it ironic that despite being a vinyl afficianado, Wilco's albums fit so poorly on vinyl. A Standard vinyl with proper run out and run in grooves is about 47 minutes. Wilco's albums tend between 50-60 which falls in the range of "Not enough to justify a double vinyl, but 10 minutes too long for a single vinyl."