Taking my son record store shopping...

I had a day off with my older son, Cary. We wandered around Oak Park a little bit and finally found our way to Val's Halla... an old, institution of a record store ins said suburb; you Chicago folks probably know it, or have at least heard of it?

Anyway, he went nuts. He was asking Val all kinds of questions about music and the history of the store. He was checking out CDs and LPs from his favorite bands and was pawing through the stacks like the drooling little budding music geek that he is.

When he saw a poster and asked me, "Who is Miles Davis?" I knew that I needed to correct that and immediately picked up the remaster of Kind of Blue. (I haven't been able to play my vinyl since he blew out my stereo when he was 2.

We left the store and he was beaming, holding his new live Green Day CD/DVD and greedily reading the (admittedly skimpy) liner notes as he walked.

"This is awesome! Thanks, Dad! Can we go back with Mom and Ethan?"

Very Cool! My oldest daughter (almost 15) loves going to the record store with me. She got Tears for Fears (Raul and the kings of Spain or something like that) for $3. Can't get her to listen to Sonic Youth or Guided by Voices but she loves the Clash, the Decemberists, and many others I love.

First Vinyl I ever bought was either "The life and times of Jim Croce" or Tommy (sadly it was the movie soundtrack instead of the Who version). Boy that Oliver Reed can sing!

First Vinyl I ever bought was either "The life and times of Jim Croce" or Tommy (sadly it was the movie soundtrack instead of the Who version). Boy that Oliver Reed can sing!

sweet. I bought both of those pretty early on too (the soundtrack version as well...) First vinyl I ever bought however was Marquee Moon when I was 16

sweet. I bought both of those pretty early on too (the soundtrack version as well...) First vinyl I ever bought however was Marquee Moon when I was 16

Good lord, I was not even close to being that cool at 16. I think at that age it was all Floyd, Zep, Rush, Priest...

Good lord, I was not even close to being that cool at 16. I think at that age it was all Floyd, Zep, Rush, Priest...

yeah i was a weird kid... I was obsessed with people like Johnny Thunders, Richard Hell, New York Dolls, VU et al. I found about about Television by reading stuff of Richard Hell. It seems like it usually happens the other way around, considering how much more popular Television is. I was way into early Punk Rock. I found out about most of those people by reading the book "please kill me" because it had stuff about the Sex Pistols and Ramones in it.

• 11 months later...
Guest Speed Racer

Val's was my first, too! I wish you could have taken him to the old space that Val's used to occupy, because that certainy was a time warp. The smell alone was worth the trip. And kudos to him for speaking to Val; I think I'm STILL not brave enough to speak to her! :lol My mother bought all of her records at Val's as a teenager, too. I was always grateful to share that experience with her.

For the unfamiliar, this is Val (it is news to me that she smiles, btw):

TJSval002sm.jpg

And that is exactly how she has looked since at least as long as the 60s. :lol

I got my hands on a vinyl player for the first time last year. I was always amazed by vinyl even though I was born in 86 in a part of Texas really not big on music. Went to UT Austin, and quickly was introduced to the world of music, through Spoon, not Wilco. The first vinyl I got my hands on was A Ghost is Born.

I'll always remember that day because the morning after, they broke into my car...haha...

Oh yeah I bought it at waterloo, only to find a cheaper one at cheapos

:lol Wow. I WISH my dad had taken me record shopping when I was young. We would go to a used store, and he would go look at cowboy books or something while I rummaged through vinyl. The first actual vinyl record I bought was "Tug of War" by Paul McCartney.