M. Ward, Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa

Great show... Thanks again to Cain's Ballroom for getting great artists like Wilco and M. Ward to come to Tulsa...

Played tons from Post-War, and quite a few from the new album. I guess he is a real 50's rock and roll fan...he played Rave On of course, but also Chuck Berry (Roll Over Beethoven), and an old Don Gibson tune. He rocked it a little more than I expected, which was cool to see. And the dude can play guitar...great show, great time.

Don't have a set list, but will post if I find one.

3470679078_225f815130.jpg

3469864021_b26642330b.jpg

3469863665_cd33491c1a.jpg

3469863363_d3a18fed75.jpg

...He rocked it a little more than I expected, which was cool to see...

I think this is a lot of people's impression after seeing M. Ward live. He always seems to put a little more into his songs live and seems to rock out a little harder. When I saw him open for The Shins & The White Stripes I remember being blown away by how much he rocked out.

Looking forward to seeing him here in Chicago at the Vic on Sunday. I think the impression(s) of seeing M. Ward live depends on the setting and who he was/would be ultimately be coupled with on stage. I've only seen him once, but he was opening for Norah Jones. It was a fantastic set, but very mellow, quite a few covers, and basically nothing from Post-War, even though the album had just been released and was the rave.

Saw that Philly show on this tour, and I'll be damned if the song that got the biggest reaction wasn't an instrumental! (Duet for Guitars #3) That is, if you don't count the dead absolute silence during the first 3 songs, all performed solo acoustic w/ harmonica.

Anyone else think M Ward's bassist (and sometimes guitarist) looks like Michael Cera?

Anyone else think M Ward's bassist (and sometimes guitarist) looks like Michael Cera?

I've noticed that, too!

Seeing M. Ward tonight in Milwaukee.

He did bring it, I saw that amazing guitar work but I could not hear it well. So this concert was a big disappointment due to the uncharacteristically poor sound quality. I was 3rd row center balcony at The Vic, where I've sat many times and had great sound quality. However, I also admit in hindsight to prefering the not-so-rocking M. Ward, as the solo songs were fantastic. I will have to let the solo show I saw a couple years ago at Park West be the concert I prefer, and perhaps the last tour (which I missed seeing, where he had 2 percussionists) was the one I should have caught. Too much reverb or whatever you call it on his voice. I could not distinguish each performer's input without putting in my earplugs, which I ultimately had to do because the volume was just a few decibels above my comfort zone. Otherwise, the sound was just all crunched together without distinction. In my disappointed moments sitting in the audience, I looked around at other people, wondering if it's just me, but it did not seem like they were into it much either. Barely got a standing ovation at encore #1 or #2. A third of the balcony left without hearing the first encore.

:(

And then on the way home we got stranded on the toll road in Portage, IN, when my alternator AND battery died. Luckily we coasted into an oasis and was able to abandon my car in a safe spot. With hotel & car repairs & meals -- turned out to be a very VERY expensive couple of days, almost $500, plus missed a day of work, and didn't get home until 5:00 the following afternoon. Luckily, I was able to catch Tim Easton's CD release show at our local punk bar 5 minutes from my house later that evening (last night) and holy crap, that was amazing. He has gorgeous hand-painted vinyl album covers for his new CD "Porcupine" and what a great show that was. No ear plugs required! Maybe I should stay closer to home next time! :lol Or buy a new car, which will begin the final irony of car payments prohibiting me from being able to afford to see as many out-of-town shows, so goddamn it, I'm screwed. :hmm

But I will say that my faith in humanity was so utterly boosted by the people who helped us along the way, I am humbled by the whole experience which I won't bore you with, other than to say there's good good people out there (thank you Gabriel and Glen!) who helped and asked for nothing in return. :worship :) I love Hoosiers! :wub