At My Window Sad and Lonely

It's pretty straight forward. Make sure you have capo 2, do the hammer-ons, and the instrumental section is very easy to figure out. Sorry I'm so lazy.

It's pretty straight forward. Make sure you have capo 2, do the hammer-ons, and the instrumental section is very easy to figure out. Sorry I'm so lazy.

I was being even lazier. Capo 2 makes sense.

Love the harmonies in the version the current lineup does.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

what are the hammer-ons?

what are the hammer-ons?

Just spent a while trying to tab, but it didn't go so well.

You know in Radio King, how you hammer on on the fifth string while playing the G. You do the same thing, and then do it on the fourth string as well.

Just spent a while trying to tab, but it didn't go so well.

You know in Radio King, how you hammer on on the fifth string while playing the G. You do the same thing, and then do it on the fourth string as well.

Honestly, on half of the acoustic stuff, I usually work up my own picking pattern, so close enough for ... err ... jazz.

Hmmm... the responses so far have either been really helpful for a beginner trying to learn this song, or they have been the least helpful things ever posted, mostly for the same reasons. If you're not sure how to work the hammer-ons into a song, then the noting that there should be hammer-ons is somewhat confusing. However, beginners should learn to train their ears and develop a sense for how simple ideas repeat themselves in lots of songs and (most importantly) learn to trust their own taste, so saying "do some hammer-ons" is actually encouraging and can lessen intimidation.

Still, I couldn't help but to take a stab in an effort to be somewhat illuminating, so here is my go at the intro, which can serve as a model for just about anytime you have a G chord:

(of course, capo 2)

(also, it might not be clear but V indicates a downbeat and ^ indicates an upbeat)

1...V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

f#--------------------------------------------------|

C#-----------------------1-----------------------1--|

A---------------------0-----------------------0-----|

E---0-----0--0--0-h2-------p0-----------0-h2--------|

B---X-----X--X--------------------------------------|

F#--3-----------------------3-----------------------|

2...V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

C#-p0--------------------1-p0--------------------1--|

A---------------------0--------0--------------0-----|

E--p0-----------0-h2-------p0-----0-----0-h2--------|

B---------------------------------------------------|

Now, I can see why people would write things as cryptic as "do some hammer-ons;" this is not exactly the easiest thing for a beginner to play -- you're not really holding down a G chord in the normal position and you have to hammer-on the fourth string, let it ring, pick the third, then hammer-on the second string, then finally pull-off of the second and fourth strings (which you kept ringing) while you pick the sixth. This is not the first thing you learn on guitar. And in that case, the trying to learn the actual part might be discouraging for a beginner. So saying "hammer on" isn't entirely un-helpful if you just want to be able to play something (in which case, hammer-on the open fourth string to the second fret).

Still, it's not THAT hard and it sounds pretty sophisticated once you have it under your fingers. You might like to find your own pattern of strumming and hammering-on (and that's fine), but at least you'll be able to match what you hear to how to play it.

:cheers

Could you keep going with this tab through the solo? I've been trying to figure out the picking pattern on this one for a while and the below is a big help.

Hmmm... the responses so far have either been really helpful for a beginner trying to learn this song, or they have been the least helpful things ever posted, mostly for the same reasons. If you're not sure how to work the hammer-ons into a song, then the noting that there should be hammer-ons is somewhat confusing. However, beginners should learn to train their ears and develop a sense for how simple ideas repeat themselves in lots of songs and (most importantly) learn to trust their own taste, so saying "do some hammer-ons" is actually encouraging and can lessen intimidation.

Still, I couldn't help but to take a stab in an effort to be somewhat illuminating, so here is my go at the intro, which can serve as a model for just about anytime you have a G chord:

(of course, capo 2)

(also, it might not be clear but V indicates a downbeat and ^ indicates an upbeat)

1...V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

C#-----------------------1-----------------------1--|

A---------------------0-----------------------0-----|

E---0-----0--0--0-h2-------p0-----------0-h2--------|

B---X-----X--X--------------------------------------|

2...V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

C#-p0--------------------1-p0--------------------1--|

A---------------------0--------0--------------0-----|

E--p0-----------0-h2-------p0-----0-----0-h2--------|

B---------------------------------------------------|

Now, I can see why people would write things as cryptic as "do some hammer-ons;" this is not exactly the easiest thing for a beginner to play -- you're not really holding down a G chord in the normal position and you have to hammer-on the fourth string, let it ring, pick the third, then hammer-on the second string, then finally pull-off of the second and fourth strings (which you kept ringing) while you pick the sixth. This is not the first thing you learn on guitar. And in that case, the trying to learn the actual part might be discouraging for a beginner. So saying "hammer on" isn't entirely un-helpful if you just want to be able to play something (in which case, hammer-on the open fourth string to the second fret).

Still, it's not THAT hard and it sounds pretty sophisticated once you have it under your fingers. You might like to find your own pattern of strumming and hammering-on (and that's fine), but at least you'll be able to match what you hear to how to play it.

:cheers