Belden-Stratford Hotel Chicago

I know there's already a Chicago thread but I didn't see this hotel mentioned there and I need some input.

Jay is taking our oldest son to Chicago in June and they are thinking of staying here. It's in Lincoln Park, near the Zoo.

The questions I have is:

1. Is it a decent place? Sometimes you can't tell from the pics online.

2. How far is it from one of the El stops? Is it an ok area to walk with an 11 year old kid at night? I'm pretty sure it is, but then again, I've only been to Chicago once.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I can't answer #1, but given where it is, I'd say yes, it's probably decent.

As for #2, the Fullerton stop is about half a mile (maybe a bit more) straight west. It's not a bad place to walk at night. You're walking between a swank neighborhood and a fairly swank university area.

Bear in mind that your questions have just been answered by someone who hasn't lived in Chicago since 1992. ;)

Also some ideas for stuff to do. For the most part I think we are going to wing it but it would be nice to have a few options. We'll be coming in on the Amtrak about noon and leaving the next day about 6pm, so not much time.

I know there's already a Chicago thread but I didn't see this hotel mentioned there and I need some input.

Jay is taking our oldest son to Chicago in June and they are thinking of staying here. It's in Lincoln Park, near the Zoo.

The questions I have is:

1. Is it a decent place? Sometimes you can't tell from the pics online.

2. How far is it from one of the El stops? Is it an ok area to walk with an 11 year old kid at night? I'm pretty sure it is, but then again, I've only been to Chicago once.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My travel bible!

http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hote...o_Illinois.html

The Belden Stratford is one of the most lovely, old style hotels from the outside and the first floor has had such great restaurants as Ambria and Mon Ami Gabi (not sure what is there now). I would not bother with the L from there -- there are about a bunch of bus lines that go up and down Clark street about a block away. I would check that out.

It is about 2 blocks from the front door of the Lincoln Park zoo and the LP conservatory is right there, as is the Peggy Notebeart Nature Museum. You can easily walk to the lake and to North Ave beach. The Farm in the zoo is still open I think, and there are paddle boats you can rent and bikes and things. Diversey harbor is there and you can walk to Belmont harbor to see the bigger sailboats.

If you head up Michigan ave via bus, there are a million things to do from Division street all the way south to Roosevelt.

You guys should have a blast! It's a great time of year to visit the city.

032311A.jpg

EDIT -- forgot to add that it is one of the nicer neighborhoods in the city -- lincoln park, so walking around at night with an 11 year old is not a problem. That said, you always need to be aware of your surroundings anywhere in the city.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think they are going to stay at the Belden-Stratford based on the location and the reviews. The reviews online mostly say that the decorations in the rooms are a little dated but it's clean and comfortable and plus, they're only going to be sleeping there, so...

Now to figure out the route from the Amtrak station to the hotel...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think they are going to stay at the Belden-Stratford based on the location and the reviews. The reviews online mostly say that the decorations in the rooms are a little dated but it's clean and comfortable and plus, they're only going to be sleeping there, so...

This is correct. I stayed there a couple of years ago. Our room even had a full mini-kitchen and dining room & 4 chairs, but this may have been some upgrade we got lucky with and didn't pay for. It is very close to the zoo and the plant conservatory. I tried to stay there again but the prices were too high, so I think we must have gotten this on Priceline, which I highly recommend for Chicago.

Last time I Pricelined for a 4-star hotel in downtown Chicago for $60, I got the Hyatt Regency (very nice) and another time I got the Omni (also very nice). So much better than paying $130+

Now to figure out the route from the Amtrak station to the hotel...

If you have an 11 year old and luggage, I would grab a cab to the hotel. It isn't all that far and you can take the CTA everywhere else during your trip. it is not close to the el anyway and taking the el and a bus could be a real hassle. Once you figure out the routes you could take it the bus back, but since our rapid transit isn't really that cheap anymore a cab won't set you back much more than the bus and el and be a heck of alot easier if you are just showing up. Heck the el isn't that close to the train station either.

Of all places to stay in Chicago this is one of he nicer areas.

LouieB

I just booked through Orbitz and paid $105 for a room. I didn't think that was too bad. Plus, we got a $50 restaurant.com voucher for free so we're going out to dinner tonight!

We also got a discount for the train (Amtrak) for booking a train in Michigan and because we booked before May 31st and will travel before June 14th.

Yay for discounts!

I thought about doing the priceline thing, but wasn't sure what hotel we'd end up with. Maybe next time Jay and I make a trip there without the kids we'll go that route.

If your kid likes Harry Potter theres a really neat exhibition at the Museum of Science and Industry right now that I can't wait to check out.

Look here...

I think one of the things they plan on doing is going to the Museum of Science and Industry so they'll have to check it out. Austin loves Harry Potter. Thanks for the heads up.

Please post up your experiences under the other thread for others to read at a later time...thanks.

LouieB

Will do!

If your kid likes Harry Potter theres a really neat exhibition at the Museum of Science and Industry right now that I can't wait to check out.

Look here...

This would be fun, but two things. You really can't get to Hyde Park on public transportation without alot of hassle. it is simply not on the el line from the northside. If they are up to it, you can catch the bus from downtown, but that is a long process, but doable. Second, save some cash for this excursion. The MofS&I is expensive, and a cab ride is significant. Bus routes are available online, but plan ahead.

LouieB

taking the bus is fine! what would be best is to load up 2 transit cards when they get on the train first time. or get 2 day passes (which offer unlimited rides for the day, these can be obtained @ walgreens or convenience type places. there is a walgreens close to union station. and probably a cvs too). if your son has a school id, then they can also get a reduced fare card, you have to ask the cta person @ the station for one.

i think the 145, 146 or 148 bus routes can get them down to where the express bus picks up.

This is why this info should be on the other thread.....

Since I am not a big bus rider I had no idea there was an express down there. Ya learn something new every day.

Taking the non-express buses is another thing entirely. It will get you there, but not nearly as quickly.

LouieB