July 6 - Anniversary of some Quarry Men gig

Thanks for posting this. The site is definitely something to dig into -- I've been reading "John Lennon: The Life" by Philip Norman -- an exhaustive a biography as you're likely to find.

A nugget from the book that literally dropped my jaw is Stu Sutcliff's family saying shortly before the book was published that they believed the head injury that ultimately led to his death was delivered by Lennon in a fit of rage in a savage attack that McCartney witnessed.

Thanks for posting this. The site is definitely something to dig into -- I've been reading "John Lennon: The Life" by Philip Norman -- an exhaustive a biography as you're likely to find.

A nugget from the book that literally dropped my jaw is Stu Sutcliff's family saying shortly before the book was published that they believed the head injury that ultimately led to his death was delivered by Lennon in a fit of rage in a savage attack that McCartney witnessed.

That is not new information. I read about that years ago. Also - the other story is that it happened to him in a street fight.

That is not new information. I read about that years ago. Also - the other story is that it happened to him in a street fight.

The original story was that he was attacked by a number of Teddys, and that Best and another stepped in and helped protect him. I had heard that story several times from different sources (I think they even used it in the movie "Backbeat"). The biographer said the Lennon incident was kept quiet by the family for "at least 15 years" because they didn't want the issue to cloud Sutcliff's reputation as an artist in his own right. The writer said it was just being reported, and he presumes (or perhaps the family) that Lennon, forced to defend his best friend's place in the band in the face of complaints about his playing from George, Paul and others, lit into him).

The original story was that he was attacked by a number of Teddys, and that Best and another stepped in and helped protect him. I had heard that story several times from different sources (I think they even used it in the movie "Backbeat"). The biographer said the Lennon incident was kept quiet by the family for "at least 15 years" because they didn't want the issue to cloud Sutcliff's reputation as an artist in his own right. The writer said it was just being reported, and he presumes (or perhaps the family) that Lennon, forced to defend his best friend's place in the band in the face of complaints about his playing from George, Paul and others, lit into him).

I think the only piece of Beatle news that I have read in recent years that I did not know about was Neil Aspinall's relationship with Pete's mother, and the fact that they had a child together.

It's ... in ... the ... book! :yes

I first read about it in that crappy books that Bob Spitz wrote, which was mainly put together by way of the Albert Goldman's research. As you know, Philip Norman wrote The Beatles book Shout back in the 1980s. I think those guys just copy each others research these days.

Was there any basis for this or is it a wild ass guess? For some reason it rings false to me. Seems like that would have come out somehow from Lennon himself during his primal scream days or something.

Was there any basis for this or is it a wild ass guess? For some reason it rings false to me. Seems like that would have come out somehow from Lennon himself during his primal scream days or something.

I think Sutcliff family truly believes it. A few are quoted throughout the first part of the book, and there was definitely some regrets and recriminations about Lennon within the family. As a youth and young adult, Lennon was a horse's ass, and simultaneously clung to and sucker punched those close to him.