How do I clean my turntable stylus?

Hello all,

I am still new to vinyl and such, and I was wondering what is the best way to clean a stylus needle.. I do not have the specialized brush, but I have heard that there are more accessible, home-made alternatives.

1. Does the q-tip and alcohol method seem safe?

2. My main question is how to actually go about cleaning it.. I have done some reading, but the textual instructions have thus far proven confusing, especially because I am rather unfamiliar with the various parts. I am confused, where do I clean? On the needle itself? It seems so small...

I don't recall ever cleaning a phonograph needle - except for wiping it with my fingertips, or waving the air around it - in order to remove the build-up once in a while. Of course, all of my records are mostly old and tore up to hell - so I am not one to say, I guess. The sound you hear is part of the magic, I do believe.

We used to just lift it up and blow on it (NAPE) but there is probably a better way. If your records skip too much, be sure to glue a penny on the top of the arm :lol

I don't recall ever cleaning a phonograph needle - except for wiping it with my fingertips, or waving the air around it - in order to remove the build-up once in a while. Of course, all of my records are mostly old and tore up to hell - so I am not one to say, I guess. The sound you hear is part of the magic, I do believe.

I was going to make this snarky comment myself, but A-man beat me to it. If you really want to know don't ask us crusty old timers because we really do this stuff, because we don't care. You can also blow on the needle to get the crap off it, but really a small brush is the best idea. Everyone has different levels of compulsiveness about their record collections, but most of us with lots of older LPs simply aren't that compulsive.

There are plenty of resources for how to deal with stereo equipment and LPs somewhere on the internet I am sure. Check with the audiophiles and then determine how compulsive you want to be.

We used to just lift it up and blow on it (NAPE) but there is probably a better way. If your records skip too much, be sure to glue a penny on the top of the arm :lol

I was NOT going to make this snarky comment, but it is funny.

LouieB

I used to use the thingy (a small, circular dense brush, with some special fluid) that Discwasher used to sell with the record cleaning thingy and other special fluid.

Scott was told when we got our most recent turntable that the Discwasher stuff is crap and ruins records. And here I thought that it was just because "Sugar Sugar" is horrible.

I used to use the thingy (a small, circular dense brush, with some special fluid) that Discwasher used to sell with the record cleaning thingy and other special fluid.

How exactly do I go about the cleaning? I am unfamiliar with the parts of the stylus, and the needle just seems so small.. What parts need to be cleaned?

How exactly do I go about the cleaning? I am unfamiliar with the parts of the stylus, and the needle just seems so small.. What parts need to be cleaned?

The stylus is just the sharp little point that hits the record. That's all that should need to be cleaned since as the needle (stylus) drags through the grooves it picks up some crap if there is dust in the groove. Not a big deal. With old records, the needle can pick up dust and debris pretty quickly, but with brand new records this should not happen. Remember, put your record away after each playing, because if the disk sits out it collects dust.

During the vinyl years (the 1950s to 1980s) people had all kinds of contraptions to reduce dust and other particulates on records including brushes out in front of the needle, vacuum clearer type contraptions, all sorts of diskwasher type stuff, rags, anti-static guns, etc. etc. Some of these work and some of them don't but it is all part of the whole shtick (like the kind of routine people go through when they smoke.) You can actually wash an album with a little light soap and water if you buy a really old and beat up album which you think is really dirty. But remember a turntable is simply a small machine which drags a needle through the groove which is attached to a pick-up (the cartridge) and then transfers the sound waves into the amp and out to your speakers. Depending on how well the record is pressed (and as mentioned in the other thread some records are not that well pressed despite being new, some old records from the 50s and 60s will look totally beat and play pretty darned well...)will depend on if the surface is really being picked up accurately by the stylus and then the cartridge or if you are getting background noise. Actually cleaning a needle with your finger is wrong, but lots of us old timers do it carfully just to get big chunks of crap off the needle, but really you have to be very careful because you could bend the stylus or even break it off (this happens too if you play a really good stylus on a really beat up or dirty record), so get a brush or a soft cloth to do this instead and dont do it too vigorously.

Who knew vinyl records could be so much fun??

LouieB

Go to a high end audio shop and get a small brush for this, and some fluid if you have the money (Disc Doctor is probably the best). I turn the volume up so I have an aural cue. Brush from behind the stylus, towards yourself...VERY GENTLY, once or twice should be enough. If you use the good fluid you can see a major difference if you looked at your stylus under a microscope. Be very careful not to upset the cantilever or the suspension that holds it in place.

enjoythemusic.com is a good resource, same for vinyl engine.

Oh, honey honey!