Sanding Gloss Neck To Matte Finsh

Query for fellow SST'ers.

I adore matte finish necks and can't stand gloss necks. Anyone ever try to convert one? I have a Gibson J-45 that I love the tone, but not a big fan of how the neck feels. I have taken some steel wool and brown paper bag polish to it and it helped a little, but still does not give me that feel that I like on, say, Martin or Taylor matte finish necks.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have done this...steel wool is definitely the way to go, you can get harder grit pads at Home depot...the trick is to wear it down with the least amount of pressure so as not to scratch or scar the finish...it takes a while because you have to go almost down tot he wood...im not sure why youre using the polish, im going to assume the finish on your gibson is nitro, some polishes react badly with nitro

Absolutely bad idea to use sand paper, even small grit, youll spend too much time resanding to cover the mistakes and scratches

you should inquire here: reranch forum

j

it takes a while because you have to go almost down tot he wood...im not sure why youre using the polish,

Other people suggested polishing with a brown paper bag gives the satin finish. Didn't work for me.

I'll add a second vote for steel wool -- I've had god luck with it.

Thanks for the relpies, fellas.

I've tried the steel wool. It feels ... ok. Not as satin like as I'd like it.

Perhaps I need to wet sand? or use tur oil or gun oil? Anyone try this?

Maybe I just need to sand more with the steel wool. You did mention it takes a while - almost bare wood. Hmmmm...

tung oil or gun (tru) oil will give you the opposite results...sanding in general is a iffy proposition

Never heard of using a brown bag...seems like youd get better results from just playing a whole lot

Id stick with the steel wool until you almost get to wood (im still speculating a bit on what exactly you are going for)...and as i said you can get rougher grit wool which might speed things a bit...wipe the neck clean with naptha in between rubbings, this will clear the metal residue and keep the dust from mixing with the oils from your hand, making it tacky...

this thread is making me nervous

Take it in to somebody who has some experience with these things.

I use a sanding shellac and steel wool method. Nothing wrong with just hitting it up with tripple o wool.

I hit with a wet 600 sand then a few light sessions of shellac(french polish)then let it air out an hour or so and hit with fine steel wool till you can"t see any major scratches. I just did this to a bass with good results, for the body I just used steel wool alone,I like the neck a little faster of a feel than wool alone.

Not rocket science at all, but I coud do it for you.

I use a sanding shellac and steel wool method. Nothing wrong with just hitting it up with tripple o wool.

I hit with a wet 600 sand then a few light sessions of shellac(french polish)then let it air out an hour or so and hit with fine steel wool till you can"t see any major scratches. I just did this to a bass with good results, for the body I just used steel wool alone,I like the neck a little faster of a feel than wool alone.

Not rocket science at all, but I coud do it for you.

I should have referred you to Oceanman in the first place...what was i thinking...wish i could go to luthiery school

Hey man, do you have a preferred french polish technique you favor, ive really wanted to get into that...beats the crap out of spraying, and tru oil is only good for some projects

I should have referred you to Oceanman in the first place...what was i thinking...wish i could go to luthiery school

Hey man, do you have a preferred french polish technique you favor, ive really wanted to get into that...beats the crap out of spraying, and tru oil is only good for some projects

With french polish it's just the long and patient method building micro layers of diluted ratios. I'm nowhere near perfection,this is the true finish. I got hired on at Midwest Guitar School building my instructors archtop line and might be full time finisher. We are spraying waterbase right now and really trying to get it down. The result is great, it's just the process that can save hours of unneeded sanding. I love nitro but only spray when it is asked or called for. French Polish is something that is a lesson learned every guitar. When someone asks for the finish I ask where this guitar is going to be played and how much booze they drink! Check out our new line at vasantguitars.com, we just got back from our first NAMM show.

I do this all the time.

you need to get 220 grit sandpaper. hold it in your hand, and go up and down the neck with a light grip. you only need to do a few strokes, maybe like 10 times. It will be covered in a white dust, and when you wipe that dust off, it should look uniformly unglossed. I then polish the neck back to a semi shine with 0000 steel wool, but that is up to you. You shouldnt be removing much finish at all, so you dont need much pressure at any time. You are trying to rough up the finish so it is not so glossy. Basically to make it feel smoother, you need to make the surface rougher and less smooth.

I've been using GHS no wax or silicone polish on my necks prior to playing. The shit is great, no getting caught on build ups.

What year is this J45?

I agree with the above poster although I won't hit any finish lower than 320, especially newer finishes,they seem to have only a few build coats.

I've been using GHS no wax or silicone polish on my necks prior to playing. The shit is great, no getting caught on build ups.

What year is this J45?

I agree with the above poster although I won't hit any finish lower than 320, especially newer finishes,they seem to have only a few build coats.

It is a 2004 model. The steel wool is good, but not quite the finish I am looking for. Gonna try the 220 sandpaper next time I make it to the hardware store. As for polish/wax, can you provide a stewmac link (or similar) or the specific brand? I would appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

It is a 2004 model. The steel wool is good, but not quite the finish I am looking for. Gonna try the 220 sandpaper next time I make it to the hardware store. As for polish/wax, can you provide a stewmac link (or similar) or the specific brand? I would appreciate it!

Just google GHS Guitar Polish............Music 123 has it, I bet your local store does also.