Best Amps For The Bucks

LINK

I own #1:

peaveydelta.jpg

#1. Peavey Delta Blues

Lush reverb and tremolo, a quartet of EL 84's a very nice sounding tight Eminence 15" guitar speaker. This is one of the only affordable 15 inch speaker guitar amps that is not a steel guitar amp. Although it is outfitted with four EL 84's, its no AC-30. To its credit the Delta Blues is its own man. Very road worthy and consistent. When they first came out they were using Chinese power tubes and they sounded good. Later on Peavey, through its dealers, started selling Russian (Sovtek) tubes as replacements, but these tubes biased a lot cooler then the Chinese ones did. And unlike many other EL 84 combos the Delta is not cathode biased, so when you change tubes the amp must be rebased. Not a real big deal, but a deal just the same. Also if you want the amp to sound good all night long, have a tech install a fan to cool off those overworked power tubes. Peavey told me awhile back that 6 months of steady use and you should change the tubes. I agree whole heartedly!

YES!

And I stupidly let #4 slip away from me when I was in college:

taynor.jpg

#4. Traynor amps circa 60's through 70's

These Canadian made hardwired amps are an unbelievable value. They are built like a Sherman tank, have very high quality transformers, and the quality of the handwiring rivals any era Fender.

The Bass Master series of Traynor heads are going up in value, but they are very, very close to being JTM45 clones, which we all know are pretty much 59 Bassman copies. I also love their Reverbmate guitar combo amps. Online right now you can find many hardwired Traynors for under $400, some as low as $200.

If you are a want to be amp tech looking for his or her first project try a Traynor.

I really miss that Traynor. But I wanted a foot-switchable overdrive channel at the time, and gave it up to have that.

This thread is mostly just to post pics of cool amps.

I'm not a true gear-head, but I do drool over gear, all the same.

Ha. I have a Delta Blues (2x10, though) and a Roland Jazz Chorus. My friend has a Classic 50 and a Silverface Champ. I guess we like value.

I wonder why the Fender Pro Junior isn't there. Oh well, I guess not everyone is as sold on them as I am (or there just has to be an end to a list).

The Peavey Classic series is a popular amp that can be found used for pretty cheap. Peavey must've made zillions of those things. Everyone seems to be happy with them. I almost bought one, but I got lured in by an Ampeg Reverberocket.

I used to have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120. I sold it for $200 in 1997. I still regret that, although I only payed $250 for it.