I may just be completely wrong, but have you all noticed that the band is playing different sorts of venues than the 2008 tour(s)? I noticed that many of last year's venues were the sorts of uniquely American types like the ones portrayed in the DVD... This year, however, seems more like old auditoriums, amphitheaters, and ballparks... not always the case, just a general observation. AND I just read that Wilco is coming to play Farm-aid in my native St. Louis at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater... just can't picture Wilco playing there...

I think Wilco is one of those groups that like to check out different venues as they tour the same towns over and over.

Others that have done that a lot are Black Crowes and Bob Dylan. I have seen each over 10-15 times and they always seem to be playing different places.

I bet it keeps them more interested.

Plus, at least in Wilco's case they are starting to play larger venues.....example this new show in Chicago. I think when the show was "pre announced" nobody was guessing the right venue.

I think the simple explanation is that in the summer, they play outdoor amphitheatres, and in the winter they play indoor theaters and clubs. It's been that way for some time.

Also, they're touring behind a new album this summer, so there's more publicity and whatnot than in the off-season, so to speak. (Last winter was a little different because they were coming off the residency and thus did have a wave of publicity to ride, but still).

I think the simple explanation is that in the summer, they play outdoor amphitheatres, and in the winter they play indoor theaters and clubs. It's been that way for some time.

Also, they're touring behind a new album this summer, so there's more publicity and whatnot than in the off-season, so to speak. (Last winter was a little different because they were coming off the residency and thus did have a wave of publicity to ride, but still).

Very true, I have mixed feelings... Great news for the band, as this wave of publicity that comes with a new record is well earned in the pop-centered world in which we live. However, I love venues that are more unique than verizon wireless ampitheaters

the smaller the better. last night's show at Royal Oak held only around 1700, one of the smallest shows of the tour I think. I wonder if they'll ever play the 9:30 Club again in DC- I'll be living there next winter through summer.

I'm excited to see them @ Farm Aid. What's the venue like?

Fine by shed standards. Better than the place outside Chicago, at least (though that is not saying much). Saw them play there when the opened for REM 'in 99(?). That was great show. I'm assuming Nudie suits all around, for Farm Aid.