Which 4 Wilco Albums

4 Albums  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which 4 Albums are stronger

• AM - ST - AGIB - SBS
    • BT - YHF - KT - W(TA)

While Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will always be my top two, with Summerteeth in a close third (depending on the week and what kind of mood I'm in), I think Being There and W(TA) probably represent the two records that were the most "fun" to make for the band.

-A.M.: put out in a hurry, a band just trying to tread water and bang out some tunes

-Being There: enter Jay Bennett, studio overdubs, keyboards, a BIG batch of new Tweedy tunes and a rockin' good time in the studio. Group making its first big statement and starting to gel as a band. Listen to this and tell me it doesn't sound like they had a freakin' blast making this record. "Bad" part: Max Johnston hating his role, being overshadowed by Bennett and subsequently quitting the band...

-Summerteeth: Jeff & Jay, miserable together, druggy, piling on keyboards and other overdubs w/o a lot of input from other band members, dark lyrics, etc...

-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot: Jeff & Jay's relationship falling apart, Coomer gone, Glenn in, Reprise rejection, Bennett gone, etc. No need to rehash the story, again...

-A Ghost Is Born: Jeff's migraines anbd addiction reach their peak, band experiments a lot with new recording and rehearsal techniques w/some great songs, but Tweedy's debilitating sickness causes a lot of hiccups...

-Sky Blue Sky: new six-piece band trying to find their footing in the studio. Not sure that this wasn't an enjoyable experience, but it's the sound of six people trying to figure each other out in a studio setting.

-Wilco (The Album): the six-piece Wilco, having been together for several years and played tons of gigs, makes an album is a more true representation of the current lineup, happy, healthy and just being content to make music together in a drama free environment.

I didn't include Mermaid Avenue because they're not considered official Wilco releases, plus, the general consensus is that those sessions were fun for a bit until it turned into Tweeedy vs. Billy Bragg.

Feel free to begin ripping this statement apart.