Pukkelpop 2009

Saw Wilco at Pukkelpop last Thursday. I enjoyed the show, although there weren't any big surprises.

I forgot to take notes of the setlist, but it included:

from the new album:

- Wilco (The Song)

- Bull Black Nova

- One Wing

- Sonny Feeling

oldies:

- I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

- A Shot In The Arm

- Heavy Metal Drummer

- Impossible Germany

- You Are My Face

- Hate It Here

- Walken

- Spiders (Kidsmoke)

- Handshake Drugs

- Jesus, Etc.

They certainly weren't in that order, though, and I might've missed a song or two.

Roel

Here goes the setlist :

Wilco (The Song)

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

One Wing

A Shot In The Arm

Jesus Etc...

Impossible Germany

Handshake Drugs

Sonny Feeling

Hate It Here

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves you

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I'm A Wheel

Will post pictures and impressions later.

Sam.

Nice setlist for a festival.

I agree. For a festival it was OK. A bit conservative maybe, no big surprises, but it sure was great to hear the new songs.

Non-Wilco question...does anybody know if Them Crooked Vultures were surprise performer at the fest? Did anyone see them? And if so, how were they?

The surprise act at Pukkelpop was in the same tent, and in the slot right after Wilco. Rumors had been flying around for days before the festival that it would be Them Crooked Vultures. Just before surprise act was starting, the skies went dark and all hell broke loose. Thunder and lightning, and heavy rains for about 10 or 15 minutes. It wasn't comfortable in that tent with all the people rushing in to get cover and see the surprise act, I can tell you.

However, it indeed were Them Crooked Vultures! With Josh Homme on guitar and vocals, it sounded pretty much like QOTSA, maybe with a darker edge to it. Dave Grohl looked like 'Animal' from the Muppet Show behind his drum kit, he was having a lot of fun. John Paul Jones was clearly having fun as well, and the entire band sounded pretty well-rehearsed. The highlight for me was this moment where Josh Homme and John Paul Jones huddled close to the Dave's drums and jammed for a while. You could just feel the good vibes flowing off the stage. Looking forward to the album!

Roel

If Im correct they dedicated 'heavy metal drummer' to Them Crooked Vultures :-)

I agree. For a festival it was OK. A bit conservative maybe, no big surprises, but it sure was great to hear the new songs.

The surprise act at Pukkelpop was in the same tent, and in the slot right after Wilco. Rumors had been flying around for days before the festival that it would be Them Crooked Vultures. Just before surprise act was starting, the skies went dark and all hell broke loose. Thunder and lightning, and heavy rains for about 10 or 15 minutes. It wasn't comfortable in that tent with all the people rushing in to get cover and see the surprise act, I can tell you.

However, it indeed were Them Crooked Vultures! With Josh Homme on guitar and vocals, it sounded pretty much like QOTSA, maybe with a darker edge to it. Dave Grohl looked like 'Animal' from the Muppet Show behind his drum kit, he was having a lot of fun. John Paul Jones was clearly having fun as well, and the entire band sounded pretty well-rehearsed. The highlight for me was this moment where Josh Homme and John Paul Jones huddled close to the Dave's drums and jammed for a while. You could just feel the good vibes flowing off the stage. Looking forward to the album!

Roel

If Im correct they dedicated 'heavy metal drummer' to Them Crooked Vultures :-)

Not really, Jeff dedicated the song to the band coming up next pretending he doesn't know who they are.

Heavy Metal Drummer...Dave Grohl...:yes nice hint Jeff.

However much I envy you, thank you all for the reports. They make me smile widely and I too am looking very much forward to the Them Crooked Vultures release. Everybody's gotta rock hard once in awhile.

I really do wonder what sort of backstage banter there was between these two bands, if any. They couldn't really be more polar opposites, but they are both two of my favorite bands (QOTSA, that is. JPJ goes without saying as a favorite.)