Apple's "Big" Announcement today

Seems to be this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/09/apple_to_debut_itunes_lp_alongside_launch_of_itunes_9.html

Apple to debut iTunes LP alongside launch of iTunes 9

By Sam Oliver

Published: 11:55 AM EST

iTunes LP, likely the official name of Apple's "Cocktail" project designed to spur sales of full albums, is expected to be officially unveiled at today's media event along with iTunes 9.

A new listing on iTunes for a deluxe edition of Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited," as discovered by AppleInsider reader Cameron Phillips, has revealed both new products. The description states that the album's release date is Sept. 15, 2009, and that the album-enriching iTunes LP will include bonus content in the form of additional recordings, photos and videos. It is listed for $16.99.

"Get this watershed album with iTunes LP (only for use on a Mac or PC with iTunes 9 or later) for 13 bonus recordings taken from the original sessions, live videos recorded at the Newport Folk Festival, photos, and more," the iTunes page reads.

Originally revealed under the codename "Cocktail," the new product is designed to incentivize purchases of full-length albums rather than individual singles. The effort is purportedly a multi-party collaboration between Apple as well as EMI, Sony, Warner and Universal. Reports have alleged it will go well beyond the PDF liner notes often included today.

With Apple's keynote media event just moments away, it is likely that the iTunes LP format, along with iTunes 9, will be unveiled. Previous rumors have suggested that iTunes 9 will include social media integration and Blu-ray support.

In July, Apple unveiled the D45 section of the iTunes Music Store. Like old 45 records, the format includes a popular single accompanied by a B-side. Prices on D45s range from $1.49 to $1.99.

Seems to be this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/09/apple_to_debut_itunes_lp_alongside_launch_of_itunes_9.html

Apple to debut iTunes LP alongside launch of iTunes 9

By Sam Oliver

Published: 11:55 AM EST

iTunes LP, likely the official name of Apple's "Cocktail" project designed to spur sales of full albums, is expected to be officially unveiled at today's media event along with iTunes 9.

A new listing on iTunes for a deluxe edition of Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited," as discovered by AppleInsider reader Cameron Phillips, has revealed both new products. The description states that the album's release date is Sept. 15, 2009, and that the album-enriching iTunes LP will include bonus content in the form of additional recordings, photos and videos. It is listed for $16.99.

"Get this watershed album with iTunes LP (only for use on a Mac or PC with iTunes 9 or later) for 13 bonus recordings taken from the original sessions, live videos recorded at the Newport Folk Festival, photos, and more," the iTunes page reads.

Originally revealed under the codename "Cocktail," the new product is designed to incentivize purchases of full-length albums rather than individual singles. The effort is purportedly a multi-party collaboration between Apple as well as EMI, Sony, Warner and Universal. Reports have alleged it will go well beyond the PDF liner notes often included today.

With Apple's keynote media event just moments away, it is likely that the iTunes LP format, along with iTunes 9, will be unveiled. Previous rumors have suggested that iTunes 9 will include social media integration and Blu-ray support.

In July, Apple unveiled the D45 section of the iTunes Music Store. Like old 45 records, the format includes a popular single accompanied by a B-side. Prices on D45s range from $1.49 to $1.99.

i'd buy lots more albums if they were $5.

i'd buy lots more albums if they were $5.

Yeah, no shit.

Guest Speed Racer

With each release, Apple steps farther and farther away from the music. All they care about are games, apps, and video. Someone needs to fill that void.

Really? iTunes software, you mean? I've always thought iTunes software had the music part of it down, and that there's no real reason to keep farting around with it. Genius is useless to me, and I'm happy with the ways it organizes my libraries. The program is great for what it does, and expanding it to help you manage games, videos and apps just makes it an even more awesome program.

As for the iTunes store, well, um, I still don't know what else you would be looking for. I guess since I'm still a hard-copy buyer there's not much more I would want from that store (and in fact, most of my purchases on iTunes have been either single songs or apps - and by most I mean all). iTunes LP seems like a great step forward for folks who want more of an artifact with their purchase, though it still hasn't turned me on to the idea of going exclusively digital.

In regards to music they don't sell on iTunes yet (gaping hole = Beatles catalogue), I think it wouldn't be fair to say they've abdandoned those prospects simply because they don't have them yet. I mean, how long did it take to get the damned CDs remastered?

i don't use iTunes at all for getting/finding new music. i do however have an iPhone/iPod touch/nano. i've also owned about 4 other companies mp3 players. apple's blow them away. they are a hardware company first & foremost, not a music company/not a game company. they aren't making the games or apps. they make the hardware to play music, games, apps, video. what's wrong with this direction?

Guest Speed Racer

Apple has never been a music company.

Truth, but the product they keep adding on multimedia features to is called iTunes. Of course, iForwardthinkinmultimediasoftwaredevelopment does NOT have the same ring to it.

I am disappointed that the I-Pods, once again, only go up to 160 gigs. I have a 160 gig i-pod but I am out of space: I need a bigger hard drive.

Wow...I only have 60GB of music on my computer and generally people are blown away by that. I'm a big fan of Apple and iTunes...they have very rarely let me down. I don't get all of my music from iTunes but purchase fairly regularly. I haven't had any issues with downloads and only rarely run into issues where they don't have what I'm looking for. Works for me. I also greatly respect the company which doesn't hurt.

i'm just glad there wasn't a new iPhone! just got mine last week. i would've been pissed. it is kinda strange they don't go beyond 160gb. i could easily fill that up with all my music. but in my house, i use my iPod touch as a mediaserver of sorts. i run simplifymedia on my iMac then installed the app on my touch which is hooked up to my receiver. works fantastic!