RICHMOND VIRGINIA!!! Perfect for Wilco..........PIC

The Carpenter Center renovation has been a long time in the making. Looks pretty good, though I'd still prefer the SRO National. Let's just get them to RVA first though.

That venue looks really cool! It would be a great place for Wilco to play, indeed. I can also see it being a place that Tom Waits (wishful thinking) would play, being that it is an old and historical building. I bet he could dig up or make up some interesting anecdotes about the history of the place, too! :yes

Where is this place?

I go to VCU, but I don't think I've ever seen that theater.

You should leave campus more often, it's a big, big world out there. It's at 6th and Grace streets in downtown (you know? That area immediately to the east of VCU.)

You should leave campus more often, it's a big, big world out there. It's at 6th and Grace streets in downtown (you know? That area immediately to the east of VCU.)

Thanks. I was actually unaware that there was a Richmond beyond campus. :rolleyes

I live on West Grace, and have spent plenty of time off campus in Richmond. I looked into this theater, and I have seen it, but not since this renovation, I guess. The shot on google maps street view is exactly how it looked when I saw it. It's far from the glamour shot posted in this thread.

It is a nice looking venue, though. I'd still rather Wilco come to the National, honestly. Good club-ish sized venue, and great sound the one time I was there. Maybe a two-night stand?

Thanks. I was actually unaware that there was a Richmond beyond campus. :rolleyes

I live on West Grace, and have spent plenty of time off campus in Richmond. I looked into this theater, and I have seen it, but not since this renovation, I guess. The shot on google maps street view is exactly how it looked when I saw it. It's far from the glamour shot posted in this thread.

It is a nice looking venue, though. I'd still rather Wilco come to the National, honestly. Good club-ish sized venue, and great sound the one time I was there. Maybe a two-night stand?

Its directly across the street from The National. Part of the new CenterStage

Id rather them play The National as well but I just want them to fukking play Richmond

Its directly across the street from The National. Part of the new CenterStage

Id rather them play The National as well but I just want them to fukking play Richmond

I suppose you weren't at that show on Mayo Island in '97? It was my first. I went to the in-store "Ashes" DVD signing in Kxoxville this spring and I told Jeff that they hadn't played in Richmond in 12 years. He replied that they play everywhere eventually. I'm actually worried that because they've played C'Ville a couple of times recently that Richmond might be F**ked. The promoters in C'Ville are cutthroat and make bands and managers of bands sign exclusivity contracts to not play Richmond, when they play C'Ville. This practice is commonplace around the country, but I've heard awful things regarding the Charlottesville promoters.

I suppose you weren't at that show on Mayo Island in '97? It was my first. I went to the in-store "Ashes" DVD signing in Kxoxville this spring and I told Jeff that they hadn't played in Richmond in 12 years. He replied that they play everywhere eventually. I'm actually worried that because they've played C'Ville a couple of times recently that Richmond might be F**ked. The promoters in C'Ville are cutthroat and make bands and managers of bands sign exclusivity contracts to not play Richmond, when they play C'Ville. This practice is commonplace around the country, but I've heard awful things regarding the Charlottesville promoters.

Jeff wouldnt sign no shit like that. The promoter for all the shows I see in CVille is Corin Capshaw and hes a cutthroat businessman but not like that.

They played Browns Island in 97??!! DAMN. Was it just them or what??

I would cut off a finger for a multi night run here. It would be the highlight of a decade for me.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully, you all will get lucky with a Richmond date if/when they start scheduling some Southern dates around that lonely Savannah show in late March. BTW, beautiful theatre- a perfect place for Wilco, or Ryan Adams, or Gomez, or ...

Hopefully, you all will get lucky with a Richmond date if/when they start scheduling some Southern dates around that lonely Savannah show in late March. BTW, beautiful theatre- a perfect place for Wilco, or Ryan Adams, or Gomez, or ...

yeah thats why i bumped this. i saw that savannah date and they dont do alot of one offs like that

nice pics DBoon! i've been thinking about taking a skyline shot since Grand Illumination. do you have a bigger one you can send me?

say what you will about the murders and all that, but i love me some Richmond.

i'm not even sure New York can lay claim to an Italian place as good as Mama 'Zu...

-justin

I can try, but my fellow students are overwhelmingly awful people. Richmond drivers, from my experience, are very patient (at least, compared to DC). So students take advantage of that. I will likely never bring a car to Richmond, just because driving around campus seems to suck. And walking is great. And the Richmond bus system is quite reliable.

Still, the Landmark is a good place for Wilco. That or a two night stand at the National.

i think the Landmark would be better for a solo show, like the one Tweedy did at the Paramount in C-ville.

i do walk to work and i walk a lot of places in the slip and the Bottom, but if i go to the fan, i take my car. i really wish they had a light rail to the fan or west end or a trolly like they used to on Broad.

-justin

Ideally, I would choose the National for a full band show. But tickets would then be harder to get. But seeing them in that place would be sweet.

But Richmond should definitely get some Wilco show.

Yeah a multi night National run would be preferable for sure. What a great venue The National is. I think it holds 1100 or more. Carpenter Center is probably 1500 or more and The Landmark is 3200 or more.