Grant Lee Phillips

Looks like Grant Lee Phillips has a new album coming out next month. Always been a big fan of his work, both solo and with 'Buffalo'. The first three Grant Lee Buffalo albums are classic, especially 'Mighty joe Moon'. Back in the day they formed part of a trio of bands, along with Wilco and The Jayhawks, that formed my taste for what was then called 'americana'(?). His last album was so-so but he has put out good solo albums such as 'Mobilize' and 'Virginia Creeper'. The details are on his website.

http://www.grantleephillips.com/

Love GLB and really appreciate Grant Lee Phillips for the talent that he is. I must admit, however, that after Mobilize, my interest in him as waned. I've seen GLP in both his solo and GLB incarnations about 30 times, and will probably go see him again. But he really needs to release something that excites me, and unfortunately hasn't done so in quite some time (the music took a definite turn after Paul Kimball left the band after Copperopolis (although the production got a million times better)).

Fun GLB fact: Joey Peters, then GLB's drummer, filled in and saved the day for REM after the infamous 1995 Monster show in Switzerland when Bill Berry went down with a brain aneurysm.

That is all.

• 1 month later...

I have picked up this album and it is really lovely. Reminds me of 'Mobilse' in places. A really beautiful listening experience. A couple of songs are up there, on first listen, with anything Mr. Phillips has put out previosuly. You also get a download code for bonus material which I haven't checked out yet.