A different Genesis question

I am not a frequent flyer here, but I did not see this question noted here. Does anyone feel that Wilco's Muzzle of Bees is reminiscent of early Genesis, especially the track Stagnation on the album Trespass?

Well seeing as Wilco have been known top play Floyd's 'Breathe' in soundchecks I don't think it's unreasonable that they now cover 'The Carpet Crawlers' on the next record...

I am not a frequent flyer here, but I did not see this question noted here. Does anyone feel that Wilco's Muzzle of Bees is reminiscent of early Genesis, especially the track Stagnation on the album Trespass?

I think that one can find similarities for any song if that is what they are listening for. There are only so many chord combinations.

Well seeing as Wilco have been known top play Floyd's 'Breathe' in soundchecks I don't think it's unreasonable that they now cover 'The Carpet Crawlers' on the next record...

I never knew they did Breathe in soundchecks... Any tapes of that floating around?

I think that one can find similarities for any song if that is what they are listening for. There are only so many chord combinations.

True, but it's not just the chord progression is the choice of instruments, the way that Tweedy's acoustic guitar sounds next to Nels' electric guitar. The guitar work sounds reminiscent of Phillips and Banks from that 1970 Genesis album. Hear for yourself, if you like.

True, but it's not just the chord progression is the choice of instruments, the way that Tweedy's acoustic guitar sounds next to Nels' electric guitar. The guitar work sounds reminiscent of Phillips and Banks from that 1970 Genesis album. Hear for yourself, if you like.

Sorry is I seem overly dismissive, but these type of comments flow a bit too freely on this board (IMO). In another thread, somebody is saying Solitaire is a ripoff of Good Vibrations.

It just gives me tired head.

Sorry...

I never knew they did Breathe in soundchecks... Any tapes of that floating around?

Have a feeling they played it in one of the Dublin soundchecks in 2007 - sure I read about it here somewhere. Funnily enough I saw one of those soundchecks in Dublin , but sadly it wasn't the one I caught some of.

More to the point, if they had an album cover that featured Carpet Munchers...now that I would buy!

Get James McFadden fit soon will ya? I have him on my fantasy footie team and he's fooking injured!

More to the point, if they had an album cover that featured Carpet Munchers...now that I would buy!

Get James McFadden fit soon will ya? I have him on my fantasy footie team and he's fooking injured!

Yep, out for a while. You could alweays flog him and get Christain 'Chucho' Benitez instead! He's gonna be good.

Somewhat yes, and I'm a big Gabriel Genesis fan. Muzzle plus Hell is Chrome together excited me at the time about Wilco's possible direction. I very much enjoy having those two songs in the catalog ... These guys have a lot of influences, though. However, I know in that freaking strange "Wilco Book" or some such place thing there was a blackboard or something with a map of rock influences that Jeff had drawn up and there was a Genesis "bloodline" present