Video Editing in iMovie

I'm in the process of editing my demo tape for broadcasting and can't quite get the hang of using iMovie. There's no shot at getting Final Cut or anything like that, so iMovie is my only option. Here's where I'm at now:

- All of my raw footage is loaded on the computer as .mov files (all the clips are between 30 and 50 minutes)

- When I try loading all of the clips into iMovie, it promptly crashes (since that's a TON of video to throw at it)

- My plan was to load each clip individually into iMovie and take what I want off of it and export that as a new, smaller .mov

- this option appears, on the first two tries, to take upwards of 4 hours for a 7 minute clip

I am a total newb at video editing and would be open to any options people would have. And please be kind...my nerves are frayed after doing this for two days--using web tutorials, advice from friends, and my own intuition--and getting nowhere.

I'm in the process of editing my demo tape for broadcasting and can't quite get the hang of using iMovie. There's no shot at getting Final Cut or anything like that, so iMovie is my only option. Here's where I'm at now:

- All of my raw footage is loaded on the computer as .mov files (all the clips are between 30 and 50 minutes)

- When I try loading all of the clips into iMovie, it promptly crashes (since that's a TON of video to throw at it)

- My plan was to load each clip individually into iMovie and take what I want off of it and export that as a new, smaller .mov

- this option appears, on the first two tries, to take upwards of 4 hours for a 7 minute clip

I am a total newb at video editing and would be open to any options people would have. And please be kind...my nerves are frayed after doing this for two days--using web tutorials, advice from friends, and my own intuition--and getting nowhere.

Do you have Snow Leopard? If so you can open up any of the clips in Quicktime and trim them down to the short clips you want very easily. I often do this to larger clips before I import them into iMovie just so I don't have to wait for iMovie to transcode them into the format it wants. You can do the same thing with Quicktime Pro in earlier versions of OSX, but yeah, if you have Snow Leopard you're good to go.

I don't have Snow Leopard (even though, as a student, I can purchase it for $29). Can I assume that Quicktime Pro is not standard on Macs? Obviously there's QT on here, but I'm not sure about QT Pro. And, for full disclosure, I'm using my boyfriend's computer to do this and I'm nearly 100% Mac illiterate--you're totally leading the blind here.

Are you using a desktop computer or a laptop? If it is possible, use a desktop with a souped up processor and TONS of memory. I spent part of September trying to edit a project with Adobe Premiere Pro on a MacBook (I was on the road) that I had to scrap and reassemble because the machine couldn't keep up and kept giving me error messages that went away once I was back at my desk on the big machine. If you are using iMovie 08 or 09, consider backstepping to iMovie HD (which is 06) as it's somewhat more stable.

Your instinct to trim down each clip individually before bringing the sum of the parts together is right on. Just make sure you use the same settings.

Good luck!

Guest Speed Racer

I don't have Snow Leopard (even though, as a student, I can purchase it for $29). Can I assume that Quicktime Pro is not standard on Macs? Obviously there's QT on here, but I'm not sure about QT Pro. And, for full disclosure, I'm using my boyfriend's computer to do this and I'm nearly 100% Mac illiterate--you're totally leading the blind here.

You say you're a student. Your school should have at least one computer lab with a few tricked out Macs - the kind that m_to_the_c describes. At the very least, you can use a school computer to shorten the clips, reload them on to a hard drive and use your boyfriend's computer for more managable editing.