Division III College Football

Went to my first (and possibly only) game of the season on Saturday. Saw the DePauw Tigers (7-1) beat the Austin College Kangaroos (4-3) 34-23. DePauw improved to 7-1, clinched a share of the SCAC title and earn its first Division III playoff appearance in school history.

Anyone know where the sites are of the first round of the playoffs? Are these determined in advance? Might try to go to the playoff game if its in reasonable driving distance from central Indiana.

Seeing the game made me wish I had tickets to next week's 116th Monon Bell game against Wabash.

November 7, 2009, Greencastle, Ind. — DePauw trailed 17-14 early in the third quarter, but scored on its next three possessions and claimed a 34-23 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference win over visiting Austin as well as the program's third SCAC title.

The Tigers finished in a tie with Millsaps in the SCAC standings, but earned the conference’s automatic qualification into the Division III Championship by virtue of their win over Millsaps in early October. The appearance will be the Tigers’ first in the football playoffs.

DePauw improved to 7-1 overall and 5-1 in the SCAC with their sixth straight win, while the Kangaroos dropped to 4-4 overall and 2-3 in conference play.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Tigers reached paydirt first on Bryan Mulligan's 5-yard pass from Spud Dick with 13:11 left in the second.

Austin's Ross Hasten scored on a 24-yard pass from Andy Braly and then added a 36-yard run to give the Kangaroos a 14-7 lead with 5:12 remaining in the half.

Alex Koors caught an 8-yard scoring pass from Dick with just 1:09 left in the half to knot the score at 14-14. Austin then opened the second half with a 27-yard field goal off the foot of John Reisig.

DePauw responded with an 8-play, 69-yard drive which culminated in a Derrick Karazsia 1-yard run and gave the Tigers a 21-17 lead with 6:34 remaining in the third. Following a defensive stand, DePauw got the ball back on its own 38 and needed nine plays to cover 62 yards with Jon Ellis scoring from the 1 with 1:27 left in the third and pushing the lead to 28-17.

The Kangaroos answered as Hasten scored his third touchdown of the afternoon with a 7-yard run early in the fourth. The try for two failed and DePauw still held a 28-23 lead.

As they've done all year, the Tigers were able to secure the win with a ball-control drive late in the game. DePauw started on its own 22 and 15 plays later it extended the lead to 34-23 with Ellis' 2-yard run.

The Tigers' defense again stopped Austin and the offense ran out the last 3:41 to clinch the win.

Dick completed 31-of-40 passes for 306 yards and two touchdowns. The game was the 14th 300-yard game of his career. Koors caught 12 passes for 111 yards, while Mulligan had eight grabs for 75 yards.

In the first quarter Mulligan broke the DePauw career receptions mark of 195 held by Jay True (1977-80). In the third, Koors set the DePauw single-season receiving yardage mark of 991 set by John Stephens in 2001.

Braly threw for 126 yards and rushed for a team-high 83 for the Kangaroos. Hasten added 53 yards as Austin totaled 206 rushing yards. Phillip Gonzales led the way with five catches for 59 yards.

Defensively, Ryan Preuss, Ben Brandstatter and Kyle Sherer each had eight tackles and the Tigers totaled six tackled for loss.

Matt Finke paced Austin with 13 tackles with Nick Zitaglio and Greg Millerick following with 10 each.

DePauw outgained Austin 397-322 and had a 27-19 edge in first downs. The Tigers, ranked third in the nation in time of possession, held a 37:35-22:25 edge for the game.

The Tigers wrap up the regular season at home on Saturday, November 14, with the 116th meeting against Wabash College (8-1) in the Monon Bell game. Kickoff is set for just after 1 p.m. from Blackstock Stadium. The series is tied at 53-53-9, with DePauw holding a 37-34-6 lead in games played for possession of the Monon Bell which entered the series in 1932. Austin hosts Trinity next Saturday.

On a side note, fellow SCAC member, Sewanee (The University of the South -- also located in Tennessee) was once one of the elite programs in the south. In 1899, the team played and won twelve games, was unscored upon except for one game, outscored their opponents 322 to 10, and were champions of the South. The teams they beat included Tennessee, Auburn (coached by John Heisman), Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and LSU in the span of about a month. They played five of those games in a six-day period during which they did not allow a single point. Of course, football was a very different sport back then, and although Sewanee ended up being a founding member of the SEC, they withdrew in 1940 without having won a single conference game.

I love facts like this.

The 1933 DePauw Tigers finished the season 7-0-0. The Tigers outscored their opponents 136-0, making them unbeaten, untied, and un-scored-upon. (Texas A&M also did this in 1917 and 1919)

Anyone know where the sites are of the first round of the playoffs? Are these determined in advance? Might try to go to the playoff game if its in reasonable driving distance from central Indiana.

Playoff games are held at the higher seeded teams home field until the championship game. You may have some chances to catch a game!

*although, I just looked at the regional rankings and DePauw was ranked 10 of 10 in the South on Nov. 4. The selection committee uses the regional rankings for seeding, obviously. But, a) the rankings can change quite a bit from week to week and, B) there's always a chance a team could be moved to another region and get a different seed accordingly. I wouldn't bet on a home playoff game for DePauw, but who knows? Selection on espnnews Sunday at 3et!

*although, I just looked at the regional rankings and DePauw was ranked 10 of 10 in the South on Nov. 4. The selection committee uses the regional rankings for seeding, obviously. But, a) the rankings can change quite a bit from week to week and, B) there's always a chance a team could be moved to another region and get a different seed accordingly. I wouldn't bet on a home playoff game for DePauw, but who knows? Selection on espnnews Sunday at 3et!

Thanks for the info!

I was unawares of the presence of good d3 teams in the Cincinnati area. Apparently #25 Mount Saint Joseph is on the west side, mere minutes from downtown, and #11 Thomas More is just over the river in Kentucky. Happily, they'll be playing each other in the Bridge Bowl (reference to their separation by the Ohio river) at MSJ this Saturday with much on the line. It's supposedly a nice little rivalry and it's the last week of the regular season and both teams are unbeaten so the winner is set up to start the playoffs at home while the loser will likely start on the road; a big game indeed!

It'll be difficult not to listen to the Johnnies, but I might have to head over there to check it out. Anyone ever been?

I wish I was going to the Monon Bell game this weekend. I'm building with Habitat for Humanity instead.

The DPU Tigers won last year, spoiling Wabash's undefeated season and evening the all-time series at 53-53-9 and extended their lead in games played for possession of the Monon Bell to 37-34-6. It's a great rivalry. The 100th game was my freshman year. There was even a story in Sports Illustrated about it.

http://depauw.edu/ath/football/monon/index.asp

For your viewing pleasure, the Ballad of the Monon Bell. Yes, it's hocky, but it's fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_v80P_f9d8

I was unawares of the presence of good d3 teams in the Cincinnati area. Apparently #25 Mount Saint Joseph is on the west side, mere minutes from downtown, and #11 Thomas More is just over the river in Kentucky. Happily, they'll be playing each other in the Bridge Bowl (reference to their separation by the Ohio river) at MSJ this Saturday with much on the line. It's supposedly a nice little rivalry and it's the last week of the regular season and both teams are unbeaten so the winner is set up to start the playoffs at home while the loser will likely start on the road; a big game indeed!

It'll be difficult not to listen to the Johnnies, but I might have to head over there to check it out. Anyone ever been?

Hey Kevan, did you go to the game?

If you're still looking for a good game, DPU (7-2) plays @ Thomas Moore (10-0) on Saturday in the first round of the DIII playoffs. I'm seriously considering making a road trip. That's only 3 hours from my house.

http://www.depauw.edu/ath/news.asp?id=24402

Unfortunately, DPU lost the big Monon Bell game to Wabash (9-1) on Saturday. 32-19

http://www.depauw.edu/ath/news.asp?ID=24397

Hey Kevan, did you go to the game?

If you're still looking for a good game, DPU (7-2) plays @ Thomas Moore (10-0) on Saturday in the first round of the DIII playoffs. I'm seriously considering making a road trip. That's only 3 hours from my house.

http://www.depauw.edu/ath/news.asp?id=24402

Unfortunately, DPU lost the big Monon Bell game to Wabash (9-1) on Saturday. 32-19

http://www.depauw.edu/ath/news.asp?ID=24397

I saw that. I'd like to catch a game but I'll be out of town this weekend. Hope you get a chance to see a win!

The 8-team west region has the #s 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 teams in the country in it. Whoever wins the region should get some kind of trophy (because they probably won't get "the" trophy).

I caught about a quarter of the MSJ-TM game. Brought the dog. He was slightly overstimulated by all the people, sounds... The view from the hill behind the end zone was pretty distant and I don't have great eyesight. It was fun though. Thomas More is eminently beatable.

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this tread. Anybody go to any Div. III games yet this year? I'm headed to the DePauw (4-0) vs. Rhodes (2-2) game on Saturday. DPU is joining the North Coast Athletic Conference next season. Some great old schools in that conference: Allegheny , Denison, Earlham, Hiram, Kenyon, Oberlin, Ohio Wesleyan, Wabash, Wittenberg, and The College of Wooster

Thought I'd resurrect this tread. Anybody go to any Div. III games yet this year? I'm headed to the DePauw (4-0) vs. Rhodes (2-2) game on Saturday. DPU is joining the North Coast Athletic Conference next season. Some great old schools in that conference: Allegheny , Denison, Earlham, Hiram, Kenyon, Oberlin, Ohio Wesleyan, Wabash, Wittenberg, and The College of Wooster

I was at the St. Thomas-St. John's game last week with about 16,000 other people trying to cram into a stadium that seemed about half that size. I live like two blocks away from the University of St. Thomas campus in St. Paul, MN so I go to their home games if they aren't playing at the same time as WVU.

--Mike

I was at the St. Thomas-St. John's game last week with about 16,000 other people trying to cram into a stadium that seemed about half that size. I live like two blocks away from the University of St. Thomas campus in St. Paul, MN so I go to their home games if they aren't playing at the same time as WVU.

--Mike

Thats the only game I've been to this year. It was a great one, even though my team lost. What a spectacle, with 16k+!

St. Thomas has no ceiling this year, IMO. They remind me of the 03 Johnnies, who crushed Mt. in the championship game. Hopefully the Tommies can do the same (as the Johnnies are a dead team walking, where the playoffs are concerned).

• 2 months later...