(Ventriloquist)Jeff Dunham + crazy success = wtf???

It’s not that I think I’m smatter or superior in any way, [...] I just have very little patience for the willfully ignorant [...] the entire fucking Republican Party

just so I'm clear--you're upset with this guy for resorting to stereotypes and pandering to an audience, right?

white conservative Christians – a segment of the population more deserving of ridicule you will not find.

wait, there it is again.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just so I'm clear--you're upset with this guy for resorting to stereotypes and pandering to an audience, right?

wait, there it is again.

Fair enough, but the last time I checked, it’s pretty much impossible to choose your race, your sex, your sexual orientation, etc, whereas believing the sort of backwards shit the rightwing has come to represent is a choice. Palin for example, I think it's pretty safe to say that the verdict is in, and she is, in fact, a total fucking joke, yet, a substantial portion of the population chooses to believe she’s the second coming, of what, I’m not sure, but they choose to love and follow her despite the fact that she’s a total moron, or, even worse, precisely because she’s a total moron – i.e. regular folk just like them. Some people own and pride themselves on being ignorant, and I feel no shame in laughing at and/or judging them. If you choose to believe bullshit despite all facts pointing to the contrary, well, you’re a moron – and I’m not referring to religious beliefs here, but the paranoid political fantasies now rampant on the right. If, despite all evidence to the contrary, you still believe Obama is a Muslim terrorist operative, you’re a moron, and I don’t think a puppet is needed to point that out.

However, what’s not funny, imo, is making fun of or attacking someone based purely on their ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.

white conservative Christians – a segment of the population more deserving of ridicule you will not find.

I am white, conservative and Christian. What the fuck did I do to you?

Guest Speed Racer

believing the sort of backwards shit the rightwing has come to represent is a choice.

Not all white, conservative Christians believe "backwards shit." I went to college with a number of WCC's who separate their civil and religious beliefs (and quite a few do), who have zero problems with who I am and how I live. Daily I encounter similar people, and I likely will for the rest of my life. Reasonable people tend to be reasonable regardless of their religious and political affiliations. I take offense at people who judge me for my beliefs and morals, and I absolutely try my best to respect others' beliefs and morals.

While I don't think that one's moral schema is not a choice per se, I would also argue that morality is very, VERY hard to change.

I think people who fully support Sarah Palin's every venture have a screw loose, but that screw has little to do with their WCC tendencies, just as I believe you can be WCC and think Palin is a whack-job, just as you can be a whack-job and be a Latino, liberal athiest.

I am white, conservative and Christian. What the fuck did I do to you?

As an individual – nothing (that I’m aware of). But as a group, and a voting block, a case could be made that conservative Christian are sort of fucking up the political process, stifling progress and denying rights to people I care for, and deeply.

Guest Speed Racer

I can think of over 10 WCC's I know who supported Obama in the presidential election. You're obviously referring to the religious right GON, and I think we all know that, but you're using a descriptor that likely applies to over half the nation.

Not all white, conservative Christians believe "backwards shit." I went to college with a number of WCC's who separate their civil and religious beliefs (and quite a few do), who have zero problems with who I am and how I live. Daily I encounter similar people, and I likely will for the rest of my life. Reasonable people tend to be reasonable regardless of their religious and political affiliations. I take offense at people who judge me for my beliefs and morals, and I absolutely try my best to respect others' beliefs and morals.

While I don't think that one's moral schema is not a choice per se, I would also argue that morality is very, VERY hard to change.

I think people who fully support Sarah Palin's every venture have a screw loose, but that screw has little to do with their WCC tendencies, just as I believe you can be WCC and think Palin is a whack-job, just as you can be a whack-job and be a Latino, liberal athiest.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, and what you’ve said may be true of individuals, but on the aggregate, the movement is diametrically opposed to extending rights to gays and lesbians, protecting the environment, freedom of choice, etc. That’s not a stereotype, it’s a fact.

However, unlike the current conservative movement, racial stereotypes are not based on a given races clearly defined mission statement.

Guest Speed Racer

the movement is diametrically opposed to extending rights to gays and lesbians, protecting the environment, freedom of choice, etc. That’s not a stereotype, it’s a fact.

By movement, you are referring to the religious right, not those who identify as white, conservative Christians. That's the primary distinction I'm making. You're referring to demographic characteristics has a "movement" where none exists.

By movement, you are referring to the religious right, not those who identify as white, conservative Christians. That's the primary distinction I'm making. You're referring to demographic characteristics has a "movement" where none exists.

I’m not convinced that there’s a vast distinction. I respect that you have friends who voted for Obama, but again, on the aggregate, voters who define themselves as conservative and/or christian voted overwhelmingly for McCain.

Guest Speed Racer

I’m not convinced that there’s a vast distinction. I respect that you have friends who voted for Obama, but again, on the aggregate, voters who define themselves as conservative and/or christian voted overwhelmingly for McCain.

Absolutely true. But that does NOT make all of them gay hatin', Bible-thumpin', crazy-ass Rapture-watchers. The distinction I'm referring to is that you are implying that any person who is a white, conservative Christian is, well, any and all of the above, as well as completely void of making an informed decision about anything, which is simply not true.

I’m not convinced that there’s a vast distinction.

Good Lord you're a boob. God help you.

Absolutely true. But that does NOT make all of them gay hatin', Bible-thumpin', crazy-ass Rapture-watchers. The distinction I'm referring to is that you are implying that any person who is a white, conservative Christian is, well, any and all of the above, as well as completely void of making an informed decision about anything, which is simply not true.

I agree, and that was not my intent. I’m extremely critical of religion, but I do not discriminate against people who hold religious beliefs (I know, this is sounding dangerously close to, “some of my best friends are black.”). However, I am critical of folks who wield their beliefs as a weapon, or allow their beliefs to cloud all judgment.

And you’re right, movement is too strong a word, and I’m casting too wide a net.

My point, is that the religious right is, pretty much by definition, made up of conservatives and Christians, so in that sense, they are one in the same.

But, this doesn't make any sense.

Guest Speed Racer

Hamburgers, meatballs and meatloaf are all made up of the same ingredients more or less, but certainly are not gustatorially comparable. Related, yes, but you would never look at a meatloaf and say, "Damn fine burger, that one." Combining Christian and conservative can create a lot of related groups, but only one can be the religious right.

But, this doesn't make any sense.

I said I don’t see a vast distinction between conservative Christians and the religious right – and by and large, in matters pertaining to how they vote or the candidates they support, I don’t. As the religious right would not exist without the participation of conservatives and/or Christians. It’s fair and accurate to say that not all conservative Christians vote in line with the religious right, but I think, based on Pew research, it’s accurate to say that most do, as that is what the numbers show. So, again, on the aggregate, I don’t think there’s a vast distinction.

In the next election, if given a choice between a Palin/Romney ticket or an Obama/Biden ticket, who would you choose?

That might be the norm for McCain voters where you live, but certainly you can extrapolate.

I probably could, but honestly it would be difficult, especially in my line of work (state government and a very conservative one at that). I mean, we do have a Senator who actually said that single mothers and gay people should not be allowed to teach. And let's not forget "you lie!". :lol I can hardly post anything political to my facebook profile these days because of the rude comments I get.

In the next election, if given a choice between a Palin/Romney ticket or an Obama/Biden ticket, who would you choose?

I'd vote for Romney as the pres. candidate. The inclusion of Palin here presents a problem. I would not vote for the other two.

Guest Speed Racer

What I think of, and what I think you're thinking of GON, are the types of conservative Christians like my aunt, who asked me last year if "my people" celebrate Christmas. :mellow I still don't think that going to church and voting Republican make anyone nutty or do anything to inhibit their ability to successfully judge situations, regardless of whether their voting pattern aligns with my aunt's.

I would write in the embryo in the petri dish, but that's just me.