Portable speakers

My stereo is in my living room. And my kitchen is in my, well, kitchen. Which means that when I am preparing a feast for (the Z) family, I have no real music options. When I am quite desperate, I will take my laptop in there with me and will listen through the speakers on the laptop. This is simply not sustainable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for listening to music in other rooms in the house? I toyed with setting up some computer speakers in the kitchen, and then just connecting my laptop to those. I am also looking at those various iPod speaker docks, but they all get pretty iffy reviews. I realize that no matter what route I take the sound quality will not be stellar, but I'd like something relatively inexpensive and better than decent. I cant trust online reviews. But I can trust the VC. Any ideas?

thanks folks. much appreciated.

I have a couple options in my house.

First, I use an audio distribution amp from Radio Shack for parties, or when I want music in all the rooms of my house. I am wired to amplified speakers. For one room sound I plug my iPod into the individual speakers.

As to the speakers, I have several different kinds. I have the Sony $99 amplified, Bose $99 amplified, Logitec with bass box for about $129. My favs by far are the two pair of Bose Lifestyle powered speakers I bought several years ago. They are no longer made by Bose. I look for them periodically on Craigslist. The sound is stellar.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else uses. My dad worked at RCA while I was growing up, and we always had the latest audio/video gadgetry in our house. It fostered a lifetime of interest in me.

Wireless tech is an area I have yet to delve into.

Squeezbox.

It is a fookin brilliant thing.

I've got 2, the Duet hooked up to the Rotel pre-amp and then the Boom portable stereo version in the kitchen. An Ipod touch can be used as a remote and again, the whole concept is a thing of beauty.

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/

I would love to get the 'Transporter' to fit with the rest of the low end audio-phile stuff, but probably won't.

B002LARRDK_chart_duet.jpg

Nicest thing is being able to turn the boom off in the kitchen from the Ipod, yell at a family member, and then turn it back up.

Still have a number of docks in the house, but will probably end up garage saleing them.