2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

ba-People_Stephe_0500960611.jpg

So, who else is excited for the Olympics? I'm not particularly a fan of most sports, but I do love stories that run along the lines of "so-and-so is a hero in his homeland of [insert name of tiny, obscure country], where the biathlon [aka "skiing plus shooting"] is a national obsession!".

Bonus for me this year: I'm going! It's an easy trip for me, made moreso by the fact that I'm being hosted by one of my favorite VCers. :wub I've got tickets to the doubles luge and women's snowboarding halfpipe competitions (try to contain your jealousy!). The beauty of being a fan of the whole idea of the Olympics, rather than a particular sport, is that I'm thrilled to be going to any event at all. :dancing

Also looking forward to spending time in Vancouver. I've never been before, so while I'm sure this trip won't be entirely representative of what Vancouver has to offer, I'm looking forward to seeing the city all dolled up for a world's worth of visitors.

Guest Speed Racer

Awesome that you get to go! I've never had any interest at all in going (or watching, really), but I'm happy as heck that you get go, especially to Vancouver!

The brother of a friend of mine will be skiing. He has a great record of owning the World Championships in off years and contracting an illness at the two Olympics he's participated in already. Their father is (funny enough, considering your example) an Olympic biathaloner from the 70's, and a real tool on top of that. I'll follow him, and probably not much else.

A distant cousin of mine boxed for Ireland at the last Olympics. It definitely makes a difference to have someone specific to root for! He ended up with a bronze, which was fabulous.

This was on Saturday Night Live after the 1994 Olympics. Probaby represents the post-Olympics lives of most bronze medal winners, not to mention most biathloners. :lol

Winn Wilkins.....Michael McKean

.....Nancy Kerrigan

John Leland.....Norm MacDonald

Jim Hillis.....Rob Schneider

Winn Wilkins: Hello! Welcome to "Sports Beat". I'm your host, Winn Wilkins! Well, for two weeks in February, the eyes of the world were on Lillehammer and Norway, and the 1994 Winter Olympics. The games have come and gone, but we've got three Olympic medalists here with us tonight. First, the silver medalist in Women's Figure Skating - Nancy Kerrigan!

[ pan out to a smiling Nancy Kerrigan ]

Winn Wilkins: Next, the gold medalist in the Luge - John Leland.

[ pan out to a reasonably-pleased John Leland ]

Winn Wilkins: And the bronze medalist in the Biathlon - Jim Hillis.

[ pan out to Jim Hillis on the end ]

Winn Wilkins: First of all, Nancy, thank you for being here with us. We understand you've got a very, very busy schedule, and we sure do appreciate your taking time out to come out here and talk to us.

Nancy Kerrigan: Yeah! It's been really busy with Disneyworld, and the parades in my hometown, and all the interviews I've been doing. It's been great! Crazy, but great.

Winn Wilkins: That's terrific!

John Leland: Yeah, it's been crazy since I got back, too, you know, uh.. down at the lumberyard where I work, uh.. it's a busy time of year, because, uh.. this is when we get most of our, uh.. wood!

Winn Wilkins: Well, of course, the big story this Olympics, was how you, Nancy, overcame adversity. Gotta ask you this: How's the knee doing?

Nancy Kerrigan: Well.. I still have a small bump now. But.. it really doesn't hurt.

Winn Wilkins: How about you guys, anything you had to overcome?

John Leland: Well, a week before the Olympics, I had a, uh, spill in a practice run - I shattered both elbows. My, uh.. my insuance plan didn't cover it, because it didn't happen at work. So it's been quite a strain on the pocketbook.

[ pan over to Jim Hillis, in close-up we see his face is horrifically scarred ]

Jim Hillis: I was shot in the face. As you know, in the biathlon you ski and then shoot. I was still skiing when another biathlete was shooting. Some say it cost me the silver.

Winn Wilkins: Mmm-hmm. Now, Jim, what do you think of Nancy's knee here? It still looks pretty bad to me.

Jim Hillis: I'm sorry. Since the shooting, I.. can't see out of this eye.

Winn Wilkins: Well, the story had a happy ending, didn't it, Nancy? You had the chance to skate in front of two hundred million people!

Nancy Kerrigan: I was just.. not trying to think about that, um.. I'm just glad I skated to the best of my ability.

Winn Wilkins: Mmm-hmm. Now, how about you, Jim? Were you nervous?

Jim Hillis: Unfortunately, the Biathlon wasn't televised. It turns out there.. wasn't much interest in it.

John Leland: My event was televised. But, uh.. when it was my turn to luge, they had to.. cut away to, uh.. figure skating warm-ups.

Winn Wilkins: Let's talk about endorsements now. I'll bet the offers are just rolling in, huh?

Nancy Kerrigan: Well, I've been very lucky. I've got deals with Disney, Reebok, Cammpbell Soup and Revlon. We're in negotiations with some Japanese companies.

Winn Wilkins: Mmm-hmm. How about you guys?

John Leland: I was being considered as a spokesman for a, uh, luge manufacturer. You know, I thought I'd be perfect for it, you know, because I won the gold medal in the Luge, but, uh.. they decided to go with, uh.. Nancy Kerrigan.

Nancy Kerrigan: That's right! I forgot about that one!

Winn Wilkins: Mmm-hmm. Jim?

Jim Hillis: [ a beat ] I haven't had any offers. I think it's because my face was half-shot off. I gues people are frightened of me.

Winn Wilkins: Well, now the big question. Are your amateur careers over? You guys gonna turn pro?

John Leland: Well, there's no such thing as Pro Luging. But, if there were, I'd be there in a second, I tell ya'. I'd finally get my own apartment.

Nancy Kerrigan: I'm thinking of joining the Ice Capades.

Jim Hillis: I'm hoping to watch the Ice Capades.. when it comes to my town.

Winn Wilkins: Well, we're almost out of time with our three Olympians. Any closing thoughts?

Jim Hillis: It's been quite an experience. I guess my only regret is.. ever getting involved in the Biathlon in the first place.

John Leland: Well, whatever happens, at least I've got a gold medal.

Nancy Kerrigan: I'll buy it off of you for $500.

John Leland: Yeah, okay.

Winn Wilkins: Well.. we'd like to thank our guests, Nancy Kerrigan and.. the other two guys. See you next time on "Sports Beat"!

Two words: Women's curling.

I work for the organizing committee, and Vancouver is my hometown, so it goes without saying that I'm excited. Although, at this point, I just really want the planning phase to be over and for the Games to just start already. Let's roll on Feb. 12 please.

Ooh, very exciting! Is that a full-time job? I imagine they must have had a staff in place for years now.

Our tickets arrived in the mail yesterday, so it's feeling a lot more real to me now. :rock

I'm pretty freaking excited for Olympic Hockey. Team Canada will win gold... at home! And the USA, Sweden, and Russia will cry like little babies.

roberto-luongo-martin-brodeur-canada.jpg

Anyways now that I'm done forewarning you guys about my country DESTROYING yours and posting pictures of the two greatest goaltenders, I hope you have fun in Vancouver... I live about 8 hours north east, but Vancouver is where I was born, went to college, visit every summer. I say it's the most beautiful city in North America... but be prepared for some rain. Come back in the summer though!! Are you going to venture up to Whistler? It's very pretty there and world class skiing to boot!

Also: the red mittens are back-ordered on the website. Can you set aside a pair for me when the next shipment comes in?

They will definitely be included in my welcome pkg for you and Trish. For me, the best part of the Olympics will be playing host and tour guide for so many of my favourite people. :cheekkiss

Things I'm also excited about:

Wilco

My husband somehow managed to get tix to the men's and women's gold medal hockey games, plus a few other cool events. (I rarely admit this in public, since I would be strung up by most everyone I know.)

Stephen Colbert!!!! Love. Him. :canada

I'm pretty freaking excited for Olympic Hockey. Team Canada will win gold... at home! And the USA, Sweden, and Russia will cry like little babies.

roberto-luongo-martin-brodeur-canada.jpg

Anyways now that I'm done forewarning you guys about my country DESTROYING yours and posting pictures of the two greatest goaltenders, I hope you have fun in Vancouver... I live about 8 hours north east, but Vancouver is where I was born, went to college, visit every summer. I say it's the most beautiful city in North America... but be prepared for some rain. Come back in the summer though!! Are you going to venture up to Whistler? It's very pretty there and world class skiing to boot!

Our Bacon is still better though.

I actually love the winter olympics. The downhill skiing where they just go balls out at the edge of control. The Luge where a slight twitch can cause you to lose by 0.001 seconds. The curling has not drawn me in however.

Coming up from Seattle for one weekend. Excited but appalled at the exorbitant ticket prices. (I won't go into the details but the organization of the Winter Olympics especially in how tickets are distributed is a complete outrage. If you are interested google Seattle based journalist Ron Judd). Going to the Victoria show and in half a mind about the outdoor Vancouver show. Think it might be a zoo.

As a native of Scotland originally I am most interested in the premier winter athletic competition: curling! You can keep your ice-hockey and freestyle skiing - curling is where it's at :)

They will definitely be included in my welcome pkg for you and Trish. For me, the best part of the Olympics will be playing host and tour guide for so many of my favourite people. :cheekkiss

Judy, that really wasn't a hint! Although, if you must, I have tiny hands, so put me down for a size small. :lol

And I still can't believe that you and Doug scored those hockey tickets! I've been crowing to anyone who will listen about my luge tickets, if I had your hockey tickets, I'd be even nuttier about the whole thing than I already am. Which seems impossible, but I'd like to be given the opportunity to test that...

• 4 weeks later...