devendra banhart

Have been curious about Banhart for years without ever taking the plunge.

Picked up the new album and went to see him at Shepherds Bush in London. A revelation! It's been a while since I've seen someone with as much onstage magnetism - so laid back but such a charming and charismatic front man. Band were fantastic, note perfect but loose in all the right ways. Very impressed - Devendra looks every inch the rock star. So much variety too - shades of Bolan, Ferry even the Scissor Sisters along with some great bluesy psych rock and the pretty quiet stuff.

Also the trendiest crowd I think I've ever seen at a London gig which is saying something.

Nice review here:

http://www.forfolkssake.com/articles/569

ps what is it with people who talk all the way through shows. Was next to two blokes who spent the entire first half hour loudly discussing how much they liked Banhart without listening to a note of the show.

I saw him at Bonnaroo a couple years ago and really enjoyed his set. There was a lot of energy and he invited a fan onto stage to let him play his own song. Plus, I think they thought they were at the original Woodstock the way the band looked.

I always liked his Rejoicing in the Hands and Niño Rojo records but I never really stuck with him after Cripple Crow. However his new stuff does seem like it'd be better live.

I'm jealous. I love his new album a whole lot and having seen him on Later on BBC a few months back, I would have really liked to hear those new songs live. He seems a cool dude all right and he is mates with Vetiver so that's another plus.