Now that it's January

This is the month Wilco holes up in the loft to start hashing out material which will presumably become their next record. It will probably be another year before we'll have anything to listen to, but that can't stop us from thinking about it.

My own groundless hope is that they'll get the new material more or less together, spend a couple of weeks in Japan recording with Jim O'Rourke before the Asia/Pacific leg of the tour, leave it with him to polish and mix, and by fall they will have it released.

My two favoritest bands in the universe are heading "into the studio" this month, that mythical place where good things happen.

Ed from Radiohead: "The vibe in the camp is fantastic at present, and we head off into the studio in January to continue on from the work we started last Summer .. I am so genuinely excited about what we’re doing, but for obvious reasons I can’t divulge anything more.. anyway we all love surprises don’t we? 10 years ago we were all collectively (that’s the band) in the land of Kid A .. and although hugely proud of that record, it wasn’t a fun place to be .. What’s reassuring now, is that we are most definitely a different band, which should therefore mean that the music is different too and that is the aim of the game….keep it moving..."

My two favoritest bands in the universe are heading "into the studio" this month, that mythical place where good things happen.

Ed from Radiohead: "The vibe in the camp is fantastic at present, and we head off into the studio in January to continue on from the work we started last Summer .. I am so genuinely excited about what we’re doing, but for obvious reasons I can’t divulge anything more.. anyway we all love surprises don’t we? 10 years ago we were all collectively (that’s the band) in the land of Kid A .. and although hugely proud of that record, it wasn’t a fun place to be .. What’s reassuring now, is that we are most definitely a different band, which should therefore mean that the music is different too and that is the aim of the game….keep it moving..."

That can only mean one thing. Wilco and Radiohead are becoming one band. Their new album, Kid Foxtrot, will render all other music obsolete.

I'm pretty sure that part is true. I remember reading something to that effect.

My own wishful thinking is as follows:

Wilco are definitely recording this month.

W(TA) was quite a short album, by Wilco standards at least, therefore there is already a heap of top material in the can. The untypically sparse number of released out-takes (one b-side?) supports this theory.

The 7 Worlds Collide fast recording process has inspired Jeff to bang one out sharpish.

Next Wilco album is released summer 2010.

Call me a hopeless optimist, I don't care!

I think it would be cool if Andrew Bird made some appearances on the next album.

I would also be pretty satisfied if they brought Jim O'Rourke back on board like y'all were sayin'.

Also, how many of you think Mike J should be more involved with songwriting? All of the osngs he's credited with are pretty awesome(side w/the seeds, theologians, hell is chrome)

I am not a regular poster, so take this as you will...

...I have a suspicion that they will record a couple of new tracks and some sort of 'best of' will appear!

The timing feels right.

The last few years have seen a couple of commercially well received albums and lots of good press [as always], their profile seems

to have raised a bit more internationally and in the US.

The requests page would be giving them a good idea of what is really popular in their back catalogue.

A 'best of' [what would they call it? - Wilco Play The Hits?] released in april/may/june on the back of extensive international touring would be good financially for them too and set them up for summer festivals.

Just a thought.

Personally I want another new album.

emptyB

Guest Speed Racer

...I have a suspicion that they will record a couple of new tracks and some sort of 'best of' will appear!

I noticed recently that most retrospectives I own are issued by labels that bands recently left, on which they still owe a record or two. That, or the band is long defunct or useless and Rhino issued the compilation.

Wilco loves making new music. While I wouldn't be surprised if they issued another live album, I highly doubt we'll get some sort of "Greatest Hits."

Not least of all, I don't know if they even own the rights to issue studio tracks from their Reprise era.

Guest Speed Racer

If they were to issue a 1-2 disc collection of studio outtakes, I would pee my pants. I wouldn't need another studio album for four years if I could get something like that.

If they were to issue a 1-2 disc collection of studio outtakes that haven't already leaked onto the interwebs, I would pee my pants. I wouldn't need another studio album for four years if I could get something like that.

Fixed it for you.

Guest Speed Racer

Fixed it for you.

Eh, kinda thought that was implied. They'd sell few of them if they didn't have newly available tracks, unless the liner notes were so awesome they could write your term paper for you.

However, I wouldn't mind a nicely packaged box set of all of their singles/EPs throughout the years, though that's certainly something that would be best left to when Wilco is no more (primarily just to get the whole set at once, but I'm open to buying them in volumes).

Eh, kinda thought that was implied. They'd sell few of them if they didn't have newly available tracks, unless the liner notes were so awesome they could write your term paper for you.

Yeah, agreed. I love the huge booklets with ridiculously detailed liner notes. Maybe they could rehire the Wilco Book design guys.

I wonder how many great alternate versions of songs have yet to be unearthed. Jeff once mentioned a pre-Krautrock Spiders that they recorded before they decided to rework the song, I'd love to hear that.

Wilco loves making new music.

which is why it won't be this:

a 1-2 disc collection of studio outtakes

I would tend to think that they would sit on this anyway, kind of like Neil Young professionally recorded lord knows how many d concerts way back in his prime in the earlt 70's, and is only releasing them now. That's forsight for you, and it wouldn't surprise me if Wilco would do something similar. I also remember hearing Jeff make reference to one or perhaps several real-time albums that the band has made as excercises, where the band hasn't heard the material before the recording session. Undoubtedly something like this would be hit or miss in it's entirety, but I can't imagine it isn't without its moments, and with the proper editing could yield something interesting. But I think something like this would be years away.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/10/catching-up-with-nels-cline.html

Paste Magazine: Do you know what’s coming next? I’d imagine after you finish an album, there’s so much time in between that maybe Jeff has begun writing new songs. Is there any sense of what the next one is going to be like?

Nels: I think most of what people tend to predict within the band never happens. I think that sometimes it starts something and then it changes and takes on a life of its own. We’re going to start recording new ideas in January and just start that process and keep it going. I know that there have been ideas bandied about, and the rest of it is like quips, like "Oh, the next record should just be one long drone instrumental," and things like that, and you know that’s not going to happen. It’s mostly just cheekiness.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/10/catching-up-with-nels-cline.html

Paste Magazine: Do you know what’s coming next? I’d imagine after you finish an album, there’s so much time in between that maybe Jeff has begun writing new songs. Is there any sense of what the next one is going to be like?

Nels: I think most of what people tend to predict within the band never happens. I think that sometimes it starts something and then it changes and takes on a life of its own. We’re going to start recording new ideas in January and just start that process and keep it going. I know that there have been ideas bandied about, and the rest of it is like quips, like "Oh, the next record should just be one long drone instrumental," and things like that, and you know that’s not going to happen. It’s mostly just cheekiness.

Are you implying that we should predict what wedon't want to hear as the mere prediction of it will eliminate the possibility of it happening? That would change things completely.

Are you implying that we should predict what wedon't want to hear as the mere prediction of it will eliminate the possibility of it happening? That would change things completely.

I guess I should predict that they'll make a Screamcore Death Metal album about the Vikings.