Broken Arrow

Sorry guys (I assume most of you are guys), but I just wonder what's going on with the band. Have the days of the small venues gone to yesterday? I understand a band's dream of making it big, but will they ever play a small venue again? Has WILCO finally made it to the big time? I'm a very long-time fan, remember getting a copy of UT's first demo tape when it first came out, seeing Jeff & Co. through thick and thin . . . is this what it comes to? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at their popularity, yet underwhelmed at where they're going. Big is not always better. Am I just an old-timer, being sentimental, yearning for simpler times?

Sorry guys (I assume most of you are guys), but I just wonder what's going on with the band. Have the days of the small venues gone to yesterday? I understand a band's dream of making it big, but will they ever play a small venue again? Has WILCO finally made it to the big time? I'm a very long-time fan, remember getting a copy of UT's first demo tape when it first came out, seeing Jeff & Co. through thick and thin . . . is this what it comes to? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at their popularity, yet underwhelmed at where they're going. Big is not always better. Am I just an old-timer, being sentimental, yearning for simpler times?

I'd say so. They do still play smaller venues when possible. I'm seeing them at a 1500 person club in March. But when they do play at small palces, tickets sell out, and then there's the scalping issue to deal with. So it's a lose-lose thing, in a way.

I'd only have a problem with the band being bigger if the music was suffering. In my opinion, it isn't, and I still enjoy Wilco live, so I could care less how many other people are at the shows and buying the albums with me.

That being said, I've only been a Wilco fan for the last few years, so I've only ever known them as a decent sized theater/amphitheater band.

Am I just an old-timer, being sentimental, yearning for simpler times?

Yes...but it is the nature of things. Just Imagine how bad it would have gotten in YHF had become the best selling record of 2002, if the boys had made the cover of Rolling Stone and all the teenage girls had posters of Jeff, John, Glen and Leroy on their walls.

This is really kinda nice. The boys are big enough to make some coin in touring but not so big that you have to go to the local basketball arena or hockey rink to see them.