A.M. vinyl problems?

Has anyone else had problems with the vinyl LP of A.M.? I ordered my first copy from Amazon and it skipped so badly that it was unlistenable. I sent it back and the replacement copy skipped in all the same places. I'm talking like 4-5 skips per track. I finally got in touch with Nonesuch and they're sending another copy, but given the issues with the Summerteeth LP , I'm wondering if this is just a bad pressing? I have all the other Wilco records on vinyl (except for The Album) and they play fine on my turntable (with the exception of "I Can't Stand It" on Summerteeth). I'm using a brand new cartridge and tracking weight and anti-skate are set according the cartridge specs. I've Googled this but thus far have not found anyone else with this problem. Anyone?

Has anyone else had problems with the vinyl LP of A.M.? I ordered my first copy from Amazon and it skipped so badly that it was unlistenable. I sent it back and the replacement copy skipped in all the same places. I'm talking like 4-5 skips per track. I finally got in touch with Nonesuch and they're sending another copy, but given the issues with the Summerteeth LP , I'm wondering if this is just a bad pressing? I have all the other Wilco records on vinyl (except for The Album) and they play fine on my turntable (with the exception of "I Can't Stand It" on Summerteeth). I'm using a brand new cartridge and tracking weight and anti-skate are set according the cartridge specs. I've Googled this but thus far have not found anyone else with this problem. Anyone?

I haven't had any problems with my Wilco vinyl. kinda strange that the skips are occurring in the same spots on different copies of the record. I did try and take my W(TA) vinyl off of the turntable a while back before moving the stylus over and it gouged out a portion of Country Disappeared so I do feel your pain. good luck on your replacement copy.

I haven't had any problems with my Wilco vinyl. kinda strange that the skips are occurring in the same spots on different copies of the record. I did try and take my W(TA) vinyl off of the turntable a while back before moving the stylus over and it gouged out a portion of Country Disappeared so I do feel your pain. good luck on your replacement copy.

Not to act like I'm confident either way about this, but my history with new vinyl skipping has ultimately always turned out to be the turntable and not the vinyl. I do have a ton of new vinyl that by appearance comes out of the package a little warped and wobbles as it plays, but my good old 1970 Zenith will play it through every time. However I just got a copy of Black Crowes Southern Harmony and when I tried to play it on my portable Crosley Record Player it skipped about 4 to 5 times on each song, plays through on the Zenith.

Not to act like I'm confident either way about this, but my history with new vinyl skipping has ultimately always turned out to be the turntable and not the vinyl. I do have a ton of new vinyl that by appearance comes out of the package a little warped and wobbles as it plays, but my good old 1970 Zenith will play it through every time. However I just got a copy of Black Crowes Southern Harmony and when I tried to play it on my portable Crosley Record Player it skipped about 4 to 5 times on each song, plays through on the Zenith.

I guess this is a possibility. I've had my Technics SL-1700 for 10 years now and have never had problems like this. I do have a new cartridge but thus far A.M. is the only record that behaves this way, including all my other Wilco LPs and some old standbys that have worked fine for years.

it is worse to have your turntable set up with a low tracking weight than with a slightly heavy one.

Maybe it is because it is a new record that has never been played before, and you have the tracking set on the lighter side?

Bump it up a bit and see if that helps.

To tie this further in with wilco, here is tweedy's advice on what to do with a skipping record http://spencertweedy.com/1863/im-an-air-conditioned-gypsy.html

it is worse to have your turntable set up with a low tracking weight than with a slightly heavy one.

Maybe it is because it is a new record that has never been played before, and you have the tracking set on the lighter side?

Bump it up a bit and see if that helps.

To tie this further in with wilco, here is tweedy's advice on what to do with a skipping record http://spencertweedy.com/1863/im-an-air-conditioned-gypsy.html

I'll be damned Rockinrob, problem solved! My cartridge manufacturer suggests a tracking weight of .75 to 1.5, but I had to bump it up to about 2.75 to get it to behave. Midway through "Box Full of Letters" and I haven't had a single skip (would have had probably 10-12 before). I guess what threw me off is that the rest of my Wilco LPs are new and A.M. is the only one that was problematic. Oh well, I must be high. Thanks, mate!

I'll be damned Rockinrob, problem solved! My cartridge manufacturer suggests a tracking weight of .75 to 1.5, but I had to bump it up to about 2.75 to get it to behave. Midway through "Box Full of Letters" and I haven't had a single skip (would have had probably 10-12 before). I guess what threw me off is that the rest of my Wilco LPs are new and A.M. is the only one that was problematic. Oh well, I must be high. Thanks, mate!

You have to be careful with the tracking weight. Shure makes a gauge you should probably pick up.

If the weight is too low, the needle will bounce around and screw up all of your records. Every time it skips, it is damaging the vinyl.

Having the weight set high will cause the needle to wear needlessly and will wear your records out. They will start to sound muffled.

Glad to help!

this whole vinyl business is tedious but its worth it for that lovely sound. just wish it wasn't so hard trying to track down a stylus compatible with my Emerson. my primary dealer stopped selling them. :ohwell

I hope you can find those stylus's because Emerson good turntables :stunned

this whole vinyl business is tedious but its worth it for that lovely sound. just wish it wasn't so hard trying to track down a stylus compatible with my Emerson. my primary dealer stopped selling them. :ohwell

www.acousticsounds.com

you will most likely be looking for either a P or S (1/2 inch) mount cartridge.