Can anyone recommend a good Mick Jagger bio?

I checked out "Jagger: The unauthorized bio" from the library, and read the first chapter, which was about Altamont. There were so many things the author got wrong in that lead-in chapter that I didn't bother reading further. I later learned that the author didn't bother speaking to the Stones or Jagger at all...

I think Mick and Keith are both working on their memoirs these days.

I don't recall very many good books about the band in general, except for Stone Alone and According to the Rolling Stones.

There may be some listed in this thread:

Various Music Related Books Old Ones, New Ones, Recommendations

Thanks.

The most outrageous thing in the first chapter was a story about Mick and Keith walking around the crowd the night before the concert (highly unlikely) and then they came across a crazed fan with a harem who offered Mick a joint. Who was that fan? Charles Manson!! Too bad the author didn't bother to look up the fact that Manson had been in custody (for car theft) since October. The Concert was on Dec. 6.

The best thing is that the author was at the concert, covering it for Time Magazine! He even got the song wrong - of what was playing when Meredith Hunter was shot. The guy could have done better homework just by watching Gimme Shelter. He would have seen that it was Under My Thumb, and not Sympathy for the Devil (which is often attributed).

Thanks.

The most outrageous thing in the first chapter was a story about Mick and Keith walking around the crowd the night before the concert (highly unlikely) and then they came across a crazed fan with a harem who offered Mick a joint. Who was that fan? Charles Manson!! Too bad the author didn't bother to look up the fact that Manson had been in custody (for car theft) since October. The Concert was on Dec. 6.

The best thing is that the author was at the concert, covering it for Time Magazine! He even got the song wrong - of what was playing when Meredith Hunter was shot. The guy could have done better homework just by watching Gimme Shelter. He would have seen that it was Under My Thumb, and not Sympathy for the Devil (which is often attributed).

That is hilarious.

One of the best books on the Stones is The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth...Booth was one of the touring party on the 1969 American tour and gives a detailed account of Altamont. According to Booth, Mick & Keith were indeed walking amongst the crowd in the early morning hours leading up to the concert. Good read.

One of the best books on the Stones is The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones by Stanley Booth...Booth was one of the touring party on the 1969 American tour and gives a detailed account of Altamont. According to Booth, Mick & Keith were indeed walking amongst the crowd in the early morning hours leading up to the concert. Good read.

Well I'll be a kissmygotohell. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. Can't get enough Mars Bar lit.

I think they have often denounced that book. I can't recall exactly. I believe it talks about Altamont in the According To The Rolling Stones book. I can't recall when they say they arrived though.

As far as I know, just the two I mentioned. I have not read a lot of Stones books, so I am not sure.

The famous one use to be Up And Down With The Rolling Stones, which they always dismiss, of course.

This insider's account of the lives of Brian Jones, Keith Richards, and Mick Jagger in the sixties and seventies has become legendary in the years since its first publication in 1979. Tony Sanchez worked for Keith Richard for eight years—buying drugs, running errands, and orchestrating cheap thrills—and he records unforgettable accounts of the Stones' perilous misadventures: racing cars along the Côte d'Azur; murder at Altamont; nostalgic nights with the Beatles at the Stones-owned nightclub Vesuvio; frantic flights to Switzerland for blood changes; and the steady stream of women, including Anita Pallenberg, Marianne Faithfull, and Bianca Jagger. Here are the Stones as never seen before, cavorting around the world, smashing Bentleys, working black magic, getting raided, having children, snorting coke, and mainlining heroin. Sanchez tells the whole truth, sparing not even himself in the process. With hard-hitting prose and candid photographs, he creates an invaluable primary source for anyone interested in the world's most famous rock and roll band.

Have Mick or Keef (or any of the other past Stones) participated in the writing of any Stones books or bios? I'm guessing that Mick and Keith have not, being the smart businessmen that they are.

They did, as well as Watts and Wood, participate in the According to the Rolling Stones book.

The famous one use to be Up And Down With The Rolling Stones, which they always dismiss, of course.

That was my first Stones' book I read. Quite the read as a eleven year old or so. I think it may be one of the books that altered my adolescence (for better or worse :lol). It is an entertaining read but full of b.s..

One of my favorites is Wyman's Rolling with the Stones (Amazon link) . Lot's of cool pictures from his archives and entries from his tour diaries.

I have not read that one, but I did read Stone Alone (as I mentioned above). I think it is great, but he does go on about all the women he screwed, and how bad Mick and Keith treated everyone else. So, it is a typical rock star book. But, since it is from his diaries, I believe it to be real. Or, at least his view of his time in the band.

I'd like to read Andrew Loog Oldham's Stoned (1998) and 2Stoned (2001). Although, he is a Church of Scientology member, so the second book may be not worth reading. I don't know.

I have not read that one, but I did read Stone Alone (as I mentioned above). I think it is great, but he does go on about all the women he screwed, and how bad Mick and Keith treated everyone else. So, it is a typical rock star book. But, since it is from his diaries, I believe it to be real. Or, at least his view of his time in the band.

Yeah, that is why I like Rolling with the Stones better than Stone Alone. Rolling is more of scrap book type of book.