E-books and the iPhone

Anyone using their iPhone as a reader for e-books? I must say it is a handy little thing for work especially rather than dragging a few books in and out all the time. Does anyone know of a decent torrent site for e-books?

Anyone using their iPhone as a reader for e-books? I must say it is a handy little thing for work especially rather than dragging a few books in and out all the time. Does anyone know of a decent torrent site for e-books?

I use my iPhone as an e-reader. I downloaded the Stanza app and the Eucalyptus app and both have free books via Project Gutenberg (I like classics). I also have the Kindle app and use that to buy e-books from Amazon.com. I don't know of a torrent site, so I can't help you with that one.

I like being able to read in bed with the lights off and when waiting for appointments and stuff. I've got enough to carry around with 4 kids, I don't need to lug a book around too. Also, if I try to read a real book in the car, I end up getting car sick but for some reason if I read on my phone, I don't. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't read in the bath tub.

Does anyone know of a decent torrent site for e-books?

As someone who makes a living writing books (and whose books are regularly pirated on torrent sites and on eBay) that question makes me cringe.

Amazon's Jeff Bezos has done an excellent job of pushing prices for e-books down to reasonable levels, and Apple is trying to undercut that and push them back up through its new iBooks store. FWIW, I am told that the Kindle app for the iPad is all kinds of awesome. The iPhone app is also pretty nice, but obviously not the same, size-wise.

It doesn't bother me at all. You can change the font and the size and the color of the pages and all that.

It's more the LCD lighting that I'm afraid would bother my eyes than the font or color. I'm very interested in the Nook and Kindle, but would like the prices to drop.

Also, it's very difficult to justify paying $10-$15 for an ebook. Ebooks cost much less to produce, and there is no justification in my mind for prices to be so high other than greedy publishers. It's sad that writers get screwed either way but I don't see how they expect me to pay for a 1mb DRM file, when they want to restrict my use of it more than an equally priced hard copy. The perceived, and actual, value of an ebook is much lower and the cost should reflect that.