Tell Your Stories

Do any of you guys ever have that flash of a moment where it hits how much Wilco means to you?

Because I do, about once a month now. It just happened during the little jam at the end of Hotel Arizona. All of a sudden I just was like "Wow. This is so incredible, and I take it for granted almost every time I listen to it".

Am I overly sentimental? Or do you folks have these moments too?

I've been to 6 Wilco shows and 2 Tweedy solo gigs. All eight have reminded me of how much I truly love the band. Although after the few last concerts I've been to, I am starting to feel that this may be a one sided love affair. No matter though.

I promised myself that if I ever had a chance to meet any members of the band, I would simply thank them for touring so frequently. When I met Jeff "backstage" at a benefit show in Chicago I didn't try to use my 30 seconds to gush or to create some bond of friendship that really can't exist in the fan/star dynamic. I said, "Thank you for touring so much, It means so much to the fans, and makes people happy in ways that I could never imagine". He simply nodded and said thank you, and my window closed.

The picture of my wife and I with Jeff Tweedy hangs proudly in our sun room. I find myself staring at the photograph sometimes and I always feel a touch of sadness. The two kids on the flank are wearing toothy, sun-kissed grins. However, the man in the middle looks so very tired. He is smiling, but the smile betrays a man who truly just wants to go home and see his family. Although the opportunity for the photo op was entirely appropriate, a part me wishes that our gift to Jeff that night would've been a chance to get home early.

in all honesty, I get that mushy feeling inside whenever I listen to their music. just put on W(TA) a few minutes ago after not having listened to it for some time and it just amazes me. that feeling also hit me hardcore when Jeff mused about the band being like family after a song in Myrtle Beach back in '05, then they proceeded to play a rousing rendition of New Madrid. I got a little teary-eyed :blush

I just had one of those experiences yesterday. I've been having kind of a tough time this year. Nothing major, just a case of the blues I guess. The one thing I've had going for me lately is the knowledge that I'm seeing Wilco next weekend. With that in mind I've been doing a run through of the catalog the last couple days. Somewhere during Being There (can't even remember which song) it just hit me how important Wilco is to me, and how import music in general has been in my life. I've been a fan just under five years, but Wilco's music has already been there for me through a couple difficult periods. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting too old to rely on music for comfort, but I can't help but feel it's one of the few things I can count on to help me through a bad day.

I ended up spending pretty much my entire day listening music (not just Wilco) - vinyl, CD, iPod and DVD. I wish I could do the same today, but I'm off to work shortly.

I got into Wilco in '99 and I dove right in, having discovered the music I'd been searching for my whole life. One beautiful and mild day I was driving around, playing Summerteeth, and I got so into it that I ended up taking a very long cruise down some very back country roads - the kind where you don't see houses for miles. I go around a sharp curve and find myself driving through a set of farm fields (both sides of the road) that have been set on fire. I've got the windows down, A Shot in the Arm thrown wide open, flames are as high as the car and I can feel the heat. It's an image and a memory I just cant shake when I hear that song, and I swear to God if that's what Hell is like, then that's where I want to go.

I love the band for many reasons, but here's a perfect example: I've been thinking about this girl a lot, things seem to be happening.

At the montclair show the other night, just singing along to Outtasite made total perfect sense and just hit a chord inside. Wilco does this to me on a consistent basis, with all sorts of different things.