Weller and Foxton reunite

http://www.nme.com/news/paul-weller/51246 (with video)

Modfather plays with ex-bandmate for the first time since 1982

May 26, 2010

Paul Weller was reunited with his Jam bandmate Bruce Foxton for the first time since 1982 last night (May 25), as the two performed together in London.

Weller, two days into his five-night residency at the capital's Royal Albert Hall, called the pairing "history in the making" as he welcomed his old bandmate onto the stage.

The duo – augmented by Weller's backing band – kicked off their three-song reunion by launching into a vitriolic version of 'Fast Car/Slow Traffic'. The recorded version of the track, taken from Weller's latest album 'Wake Up The Nation', also features Foxton on bass.

"Well, it's been a while hasn't it?" said Foxton afterwards. "Twenty-eight years, I think. Thank you for the wonderful reception!"

Foxton then remained onstage to run though Jam classics 'The Eton Rifles' and 'The Butterfly Collector', before waving to the crowd and exiting to a huge ovation from the audience and a hug from Weller.

Weller played a greatest hits set to the sell-out crowd, including cuts from 'Wake Up The Nation' alongside older classics including 'Start!', 'The Changingman' and 'Strange Town'.

The singer – who was celebrating his 52nd birthday yesterday – responded jokily when the crowd sang him 'Happy Birthday', saying, "The only thing I want right now is a cigarette."

Paul Weller played:

'Push It Along'

'7 & 3 Is The Striker’s Name'

'Sea Spray'

'Into Tomorrow'

'Aim High'

'Andromeda'

'Moonshine'

'Up The Dosage'

'Strange Town'

'Wake Up The Nation'

'Trees'

'Empty Ring'

'One Bright Star'

'Shout To The Top'

'Start!'

'Fast Car/Slow Traffic'

'The Eton Rifles'

'The Butterfly Collector'

'All On A Misty Morning'

'Light Nights'

'Brand New Start'

'Echoes Round The Sun'

'Art School'

'Come On/Let’s Go'

'The Changingman'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/20/paul-weller-bruce-foxton-jam

Paul Weller and Bruce Foxton reunite for a Jam

The former band mates, who weren't on speaking terms for more than 20 years, have collaborated on two new songs. Don't hold your breath for that Jam reunion though ...

Sean Michaels guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 January 2010

Paul Weller has reunited with the Jam's bassist, Bruce Foxton. The former band mates, who reportedly went more than 20 years without speaking, collaborated on two songs for Weller's forthcoming solo album, Wake Up the Nation.

"It came about because we had both lost loved ones last year," Weller told NME this week. "[bruce] lost his wife at the early part of the year, and I lost my dad, and it opened up a bit of a dialogue, and it seemed like a nice thing to do at the time. In fact, it was a wonderful thing."

After Weller dissolved the Jam in 1982, he and Foxton reportedly went decades without speaking. They met again at a Who concert in 2006, chatting for 10 minutes – and finishing with an embrace. Last year, Foxton revealed that they had again become friends, but that a reunion of the Jam seemed out of the question. "I don't even discuss it with him, I know the answer," he told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

Weller previously expressed some hostility toward From the Jam, Foxton's touring act with former Jam drummer Rick Buckler. "I'm not mad about the idea," he told NME. "It's a bit cabaret to me. I thought we were against all that." Weller and Buckler are not said to be on speaking terms.

On his website, Weller described one of the new songs featuring Foxton, Fast Car Slow Traffic: "It's a real London tune. It's a pretty full-on. We played this on the last tour and people were really mad for it. It was really interesting to hear Bruce playing on it. You can instantly tell it's him."

Wake Up the Nation also includes a cameo by My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields. The album will be released on 12 April.

I saw Weller live 2 years ago and it was a fantastic night. High energy show full of classic tunes. Seeing him again at the end of the month and really looking forward to it.

Fast Car is a great little track. Pointer of maybe where The Jam might have gone?

no word on Buckler?

i would go see a Jam reunion show in a heartbeat. the solo Weller show i saw two years ago underwhelmed...

I wouldn't hold your breath. Weller has consistently and vehemently said he has no interest in reforming the Jam. If you live in the UK, there are several Jam tribute bands that you could go and see. In my not-so-humble opinion, Weller is one of the few artists of his or any other generation with any integrity. I am sure he could have pocketed a cool few million by doing an album, tour and festivals. As for his solo shows, you might have seen him on a rare off night. Saw him last year in San Francisco and in front of a semi-full room he and his current band put on a brilliant show. His latest album "Wake Up The Nation" ranks as one of the best of his career and there's no-one else of his tenure or stature who remain as interesting or relevant.

no one?

i would counter with:

elvis costello

robyn hitchcock

buzzcocks

siouxsie

chris bailey

ed kuepper

david byrne

david thomas

nick lowe

With all due respect, I'd say that no-one has stayed as close to the top of their game. Maybe David Byrne who also deserves kudos for not cashing in with a Talking Heads tour.

well, we agree to disagree. i just got back from seeing Hitchcock play, and he was outstanding. he continues to put out compelling records too. that 22 Dreams release was a stillborn turd.

oh, just thought of another obvious one...Mark E Smith.

LOL. Hitchcock is pretty special. "Wake Up The Nation" is better than "22 Dreams" which didn't enthuse me as much as most people. Maybe the best of his career.