Gil Scott-Herron

I could not find the previous Gil Scott-Herron thread, but there is an absolutely great article about him in the current New Yorker. Despite having a bit of a comeback he is still deep into addiction. It is a sad and amazing story. Unfortunately I haven't found a digital copy of this article, but I would post it. The text only seems to appear in the digital edition, not the web edition.

LouieB

I saw him at Chicago Fest back in the early 80s (maybe twice...frankly I can't remember...) and he was also great. I am glad to hear he can still perform. The article is heartbreaking. At one of the record shows I was at (CHIRP) his label was selling his most recent album, but it seemed really expensive. I guess now that he needs the money.

LouieB

Have 7 or 8 of his records and enjoy them all to varying degrees. He has the distinction of having one of my favorite album covers of all time regarding the one for: from South Africa to South Carolina. It's a gatefold cover with a gorilla dressed as a guerilla warrior with arms outstretched holding the state of South Carolina in one hand and the country of South Africa in the other. His story is truly tragic and likely will not end well.

I could not find the previous Gil Scott-Herron thread, but there is an absolutely great article about him in the current New Yorker. Despite having a bit of a comeback he is still deep into addiction. It is a sad and amazing story. Unfortunately I haven't found a digital copy of this article, but I would post it. The text only seems to appear in the digital edition, not the web edition.

LouieB

Yeah, I think I was the one who started the earlier thread a long time ago.

As you guys know Gil is one of my biggest musical heroes. I'll see if it pops up on the web, but if anyone else does please post it up.

You may want to find an actual copy of this New Yorker. Every once in a while they put out an issue with a bunch of good articles; this happens to be one of them. Do public libraries still have magazines? If so hit your local library. The article is heartrending and there is other good stuff in it too.

LouieB

I completely forgot he was on No Nukes. Being better than the others wasn't hard. It is an earnest concert that had alot of dead moments. (I was at it briefly...long story..) I assume he sang Winter in America. I will have to dig my copy out.

LouieB