James Cameron Vs. Piranha 3D Producer Mark Canton

I’m not going to comment on the feud between these two – but when the director of Piranha 3D says this movie was made for the "fans", I cant help but wonder what the hell he's talking about. I remember the original Piranha movie from the 70’s – but this new movie looks as though it’s being marketed to a much younger demographic – one that I cannot help but think is not familiar with the original, or its sequel – and thus, probably wasn’t demanding a 3rd installment, 3D or no 3D.

I’m not going to comment on the feud between these two – but when the director of Piranha 3D says this movie was made for the "fans", I cant help but wonder what the hell he's talking about. I remember the original Piranha movie from the 70’s – but this new movie looks as though it’s being marketed to a much younger demographic – one that I cannot help but think is not familiar with the original, or its sequel – and thus, probably wasn’t demanding a 3rd installment, 3D or no 3D.

I thought that it was pretty obvious from Canton's words that he meant movie "fans" a.k.a. the people who show up to films like Piranha 3D just to have fun and be entertained. (the tone of this is a matter of fact, not rude)

For the record, I can be simultaneously a movie "fan" and a filmgoer who wants to see the "prestigious" films. It's just a matter of "preparing" yourself going into it. {Yes, I know that sounds kind of ridiculous but it works for me} I find it tough to go see one type of film, if I am really feeling seeing another. For example: if I show up and let's say Piranha 3D is sold out, I would have a tough time sitting in a more serious film like Eat Pray Love. Edit: I also find it kind of odd for some folks to just see one particular type of genre or just stick with "indie" films. This is one of the reasons why I cancelled Netflix. I would have something like The White Ribbon for 3 weeks and couldn't find a time to sit down and watch it with the right mindset. I understand the economics of skipping out on "entertaining light films", but if you have a steady diet of just "indie" films then you might just take it all too seriously. Sorry for being stereotypical. And if you lighten up on TV instead, then that's fine with me.

I went through a phase where I hated a lot of the "genre" films and demanded more out of my films, but then I somehow suddenly stopped feeling that way because I didn't enjoy anything and wasn't pleasant to be around. In the end it is pretty foolish to walk into a film like Piranha 3D and expect it to be like Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood.

I thought that it was pretty obvious from Canton's words that he meant movie "fans" a.k.a. the people who show up to films like Piranha 3D just to have fun and be entertained.

For the record, I can be simultaneously a movie "fan" and a filmgoer who wants to see the "prestigious" films. It's just a matter of "preparing" yourself going into it. {Yes, I know that sounds kind of ridiculous but it works for me} I find it tough to go see one type of film, if I am really feeling seeing another. For example: if I show up and let's Piranha 3D is sold out, I would have a tough time sitting in a more serious film like Eat Pray Love. Edit: I also find it kind of odd for some folks to just see one particular type of genre or just stick with "indie" films. This is one of the reasons why I cancelled Netflix. I would have something like The White Ribbon for 3 weeks and couldn't find a time to sit down and watch it with the right mindset. I understand the economics of skipping out on "entertaining light films", but if you have a steady diet of just "indie" films then you might just take it all too seriously. Sorry for being stereotypical. And if you lighten up on TV instead, then that's fine with me.

I went through a phase where I hated a lot of the "genre" films and demanded more out of my films, but then I somehow suddenly stopped feeling that way because I didn't enjoy anything and wasn't pleasant to be around. In the end it is pretty foolish to walk into a film like Piranha 3D and expect it to be like Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood.

What are your expectations going into a movie like that, then? As a movie "fan," I find it neither fun nor entertaining to sit through a bad movie, whether it be a genre film or an indie darling.

What are your expectations going into a movie like that, then? As a movie "fan," I find it neither fun nor entertaining to sit through a bad movie, whether it be a genre film or an indie darling.

No kidding - the money aside, that's two hours of your life you'll never get back.

I don't want it to sound like I haven't seen a bad movie since I changed my ways, but I can see how some would imply that.

I didn't think Piranha 3D was bad. It was entertaining in an old, trashy drive-in movie theater type of way. (maybe it's being more forgiving on my part because the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike the one below)

I did see a rather bad movie on Monday night: Takers. The film that I wanted to see got bumped for some New Orleans documentary done by Harry Shearer. It was more expensive than an actual movie because it was a "Special Digital One Night Only Presentation", so I skipped that. It's something I'd rather watch at home anyways.

The big problem with Takers was that it felt like it was made with too much flash and an overwhelming abundance of it. Action scenes were muted to have classical music piped in as the action blurred as the main actors got shot. It felt a lot like the storylines in Heat via the style of Ocean's 11. And I found it funny that I was biting my tongue because something happened in this film that I tried to defend for The Thin Red Line (big name actors getting little screen time). Paul Walker (well, not that big) gets big billing in this and he has no lines until the end. There's really no need for him to be in it other then to fill in the seats with younger women. He does jack shit. I was more compelled by the storyline between Matt Dillon & Jay Hernandez as the cops on the "takers" trail.

One film that really took me by surprise was The Last Exorcism. Another recent credo of mine is to avoid all reviews until I've seen the film then I may go and read 1 or 2 of them for different reasons. The less that you know about this film the better it plays out.

One problem that I have with reviews is the notion of giving away too much in the plot to either gush over the film or to bash it. And the worst thing for me is to hear people complain about something being "too overrated" or "just meh" and basing it off of reviews that they read. I don't get how reading 10 reviews for something "prestigious" does any good for any viewer out there: you practically know the whole film and know what to nitpick etc. The same goes with records. Why can't people just go into things fresh and let themselves define it? Why do people need to measure 10 reviews of The Arcade Fire's The Suburbs to their 1st listening experience of it? Maybe people naturally like to knock down films and records to make themselves sound like they have the highest standards on the planet because people or critics say that they "love it". That's one of the reasons why I see films quick when they come out of the gate, especially the Oscar contenders. I remember laying into Rain Dog Too (sorry man) for his "Wanting more" out of Up In The Air. He couldn't answer what it was that he wanted, but he knew that it didn't live up to all of the hype that he must have read or heard about. The Oscars don't really matter anyways, as we all come to figure out usually the day after the event.

Edit: Yes, I do realize that I spent more time bashing the movie that I didn't like as opposed to the one that I really enjoyed. Like I said the less that you know about something, usually the better off the experience is. Otherwise we all end up sounding like that family member or person that you know that wants a full synopsis of a movie that you are talking about or taking them to see that very second. I'm talking about you mom. :blush A recent example that I can give to clarify this is to mention the George Clooney film that opened today: The American. I've seen the trailers a few times and have seen the ads on tv and I am still not sure exactly what it is about. All that I know is that Clooney is an assassin who does pull ups, turns around really fast and gives us the Scared Clooney Face and there's a hot Italian woman in it that I've never seen in any film before. I'm tempted to read at least one review to know more, but why should I do that? Half of the fun is discovering a film on your own terms.

Movie producers often use the phrase "the fans" the same way Republican bloggers use the phrase "the taxpayers"--to appeal to some nebulous, monolithic conception of the common man.