Rolling Stone "Reprint" of YHF-Era Interview

Their tie-in to the old interview is the news that Wilco is leaving Nonesuch...

http://www.rollingst...10/199709/38726

I like this interview. I hadn't read it before. I was struck by several things, mostly how consistent Jeff has always been in his statements about the importance of the connection between performer and audience--how much one influences the other.

And this, re Heavy Metal Drummer:

I worry that people look at that song as too sentimental, very nostalgic. But I guess that's what it is. The assumption I've heard a lot of people make is that I was the one playing Kiss covers — I wasn't. I'm talking about that band that I can't find anymore, that I wish I could, because now I would feel less superior to them, and be able to enjoy them more.

Being in Uncle Tupelo, being into punk rock and indie records, I'd feel so superior. It took me a long time to realize how these other bands were just having a fucking blast, how right they were. The relationship between that performer and that audience, the connection, the circuit of it, was more beautiful than most concerts I see now — and definitely most indie rock bands, where people are achieving an intellectual understanding of it. But the circuit isn't there, because everybody is afraid to dance.

That's a tough thing for people to accept, especially musicians. It could be true that the listener's talent level is as important as theirs. I think a person who can jump around on a the dancefloor and have a kick-ass time is a talented listener. They're getting something very valuable out of the exchange.

I worry that people look at that song as too sentimental, very nostalgic. But I guess that's what it is. The assumption I've heard a lot of people make is that I was the one playing Kiss covers — I wasn't. I'm talking about that band that I can't find anymore, that I wish I could, because now I would feel less superior to them, and be able to enjoy them more.

Being in Uncle Tupelo, being into punk rock and indie records, I'd feel so superior. It took me a long time to realize how these other bands were just having a fucking blast, how right they were. The relationship between that performer and that audience, the connection, the circuit of it, was more beautiful than most concerts I see now — and definitely most indie rock bands, where people are achieving an intellectual understanding of it. But the circuit isn't there, because everybody is afraid to dance.

That's a tough thing for people to accept, especially musicians. It could be true that the listener's talent level is as important as theirs. I think a person who can jump around on a the dancefloor and have a kick-ass time is a talented listener. They're getting something very valuable out of the exchange.

I think this passage is key to understanding Jeff today. He made records in order to survive as an artist (AM); he made records to prove something and tell the detractors to piss off (Being There); he made records in the depths of co-dependency and depression (Summerteeth); he made records reclaiming his mind and soul (YHF and A Ghost is Born); and he has finally made records he wants to (Sky Blue Sky and Wilco).

I think Jeff has finally moved completely beyond feeling superior and is having a kick-ass time. Now...if only the fans could do the same.

I think this passage is key to understanding Jeff today. He made records in order to survive as an artist (AM); he made records to prove something and tell the detractors to piss off (Being There); he made records in the depths of co-dependency and depression (Summerteeth); he made records reclaiming his mind and soul (YHF and A Ghost is Born); and he has finally made records he wants to (Sky Blue Sky and Wilco).

I think Jeff has finally moved completely beyond feeling superior and is having a kick-ass time. Now...if only the fans could do the same.

Well said.