Vampire Weekend w/Beach House and Dum Dum Girls

I took my 12 year old son up to Montreal for his birthday to see Vampire Weekend at the The Metropolis earlier this week. I have enjoyed both VW records, but this is not a band that I spend much time thinking about or listening to. That said, they were much better live than I expected them to be, and would recommend them to anyone who likes either of their two records. They were extremely tight and had a much more developed and distinctive sound than I had expected. My son has been to five Wilco shows, but this was the first band that he has seen in a club setting. He was so into the music and the surroundings - just sucking it all in. That made the experience all the better! After the requisite purchase of some VW merch - he really wanted to remember all the songs that were played. I told to go over the gentlemen at the soundboard and ask for a copy of the set list - he obliged - and now the printed list is up on the bulletin board in his room. So, here's the list

Holiday

White Sky

Cape Cod Kwassa

I Stand Corrected

M79

Bryn

California English

Cousins

Taxi Cab

Run

A-Punk

Blakes

I'm Goin' Down

Diplomats Son

Contra

Giving up the Gun

Campus>

Comma

Horchata

Mansard Roof

Walcott

Oh - the Dum Dum Girls were simply unlistenable, and Beach House were lots of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

hey thanks for the review

I went to this same show in Toronto - pretty good but the vibe was lacking. For reasons that remain unexplained, they picked a 16,000 capacity venue for the show.

I've been to Metropolis in Montreal many times - now that's a great venue and perfectly sized at about 2500

anyways it was pretty barren in toronto