Wilco -- 15/9/10, Newcastle, UK

Just got back, ears still ringing. We got Late Greats! And Monday! And... everything, really. Awesome, awesome gig.

The mix was a bit muddy (where we were standing, towards the front, the vocals were MIA when the volume picked up) but it's not the easiest venue for sound.

Jeff & the band seemed to be in a good mood. I've waited forever to see this band, and I wasn't disappointed.

Here's hoping they come back soon.

Limited Internet time tonight, so not much of a review. Once again the videotaping scourge reared its ugly head when Jeff admonished someone off mike for apparently distracting him by filming. Then later on, he sort of took it out on the security guards who were apparently very lackadaisical about enforcing the camera ban. So that sort of added a little bit of tension toward the end of the main set.

That probably didn't have anything to do with one of the shorter headlining sets in a while (clocking in just shy of two hours). It sort of seemed like they had to be finished by 11 p.m. anyway. But the band powered through with some energetic versions of the Summerteeth numbers and a rocking conclusion. Also it's always great to hear Shouldn't Be Ashamed.

I'll leave the details of Jeff's Venom banter ("Indeed!") to someone else, and just mention that the headliner of the other room inside the Academy tonight was a metal band called Skeletonwitch and seeing their name with Wilco's on the marquee was amusing. I now want there to be a Skeletonwitch burger at Kuma's Corner.

Anyway, I digress. Here was the complete setlist as played:

-"The Price Is Right" theme music intro-

Wilco (the song)

A Shot in the Arm

Bull Black Nova

IATTBYH>

One Wing

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Handshake Drugs

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Via Chicago

I'll Fight

Theologians

I'm Always In Love

Jesus, etc.

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------

The Late Greats

You Never Know

Hate It Here

Heavy Metal Drummer

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Beaten to the punch while I fiddled around with my mobile!

Set list was;

Wilco (The Song)

Shot In The Arm

Bull Black Nova

IATTBYH

One Wing

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Shouldn't Be Ashamed*

Handshake Drugs

Nothingseveregonna...

Via Chicago

I'll Fight

Theologians

I'm Always In Love

Jesus Etc

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

(Encore)

The Late Greats

You Never Know

Hate It Here

Heavy Metal Drummer

Monday

Outtasite

Thought it was a great show. Jeff's voice sounded good. Monday/Outtasite rocked like a bastard.

*This may have been my request. Except I meant Should've Been In Love, always get the titles mixed up!

Just got back, ears still ringing. We got Late Greats! And Monday! And... everything, really. Awesome, awesome gig.

The mix was a bit muddy (where we were standing, towards the front, the vocals were MIA when the volume picked up) but it's not the easiest venue for sound.

Jeff & the band seemed to be in a good mood. I've waited forever to see this band, and I wasn't disappointed.

Here's hoping they come back soon.

I've just got back in and this gig immediately went into one of my favourite gigs ever. I was stood to the right, quite close to the right-handside bar. I was there with my friend who is a professional sound engineer and he had no complaints about the sound, indeed, he thought it was a glorious gig too, particularly for the venue.. Wilco sounded textbook perfect throughout. (perhaps it was where we were standing). There are sometimes you hear bands that sound sterile, with trying to replicate their recorded sound, but Wilco manage to sound note-perfect whilst still managing to sound fluid and organic.

Really well done. Indeeeeeeeeeeeed!

I've just got back in and this gig immediately went into one of my favourite gigs ever. I was stood to the right, quite close to the right-handside bar. I was there with my friend who is a professional sound engineer and he had no complaints about the sound, indeed, he thought it was a glorious gig too, particularly for the venue..

Yeah - it was probably where you were standing. I imagine it will have sounded great under the balcony at the desk, too... unfortunately, dead centre toward the front, the definition disappeared pretty quickly. The low-volume stuff was breathtaking, though.

That's not to take credit away from an amazing gig - because it was!

Phil Selway's lot were a bit miserable, though. :-)

Stunning gig, the sound was perfect from the mezzanine just behind the mixing desk.

I'm glad Jeff admonished the guy in the crowd who pronounced Cherry Ghost 'shit' after Jeff asked about him after finishing 'Theologians'.

'That's not nice, I bet he works really hard', he said. And he's right.