Advice for the Wii: DDR or Just Dance or Other?

Both my daughter and wife have expressed interest in Dance Dance Revolution for the Wii. My daughter loves to dance. My wife wants a game that will give her an entertaining workout. I know nothing about any of these games, so I'm looking for advice about which to purchase.

I know DDR needs a dance pad. The metal and foam ones seem too expensive, so I'll probably have to go with the basic pad. Will my six-year-old daughter be able to use it? Are they durable? Should I stick with the Konami brand, or some other manufacturer? Which DDR game is the best?

I know Just Dance doesn't need the dance pad. Does that game provide a workout, or is it more like Family Game Night?

Are there other games like this that I should consider? I really don't know what my options are.

Thoughts?? Any advice will be appreciated!

Basic DDR soft pads usually have really bad sensors, you will probably end up wasting that money. Metal pads have better sensors; sadly, there's no substitute for an arcade metal pad (unless you love engineering). I should also make a quick disclaimer that while DDR is nothing like actual dance, it's a pretty great workout if you can take it in a serious manner and a work out for feet-mind response. I know Konami has scaled down the difficulty of the game so that most audiences can jump in and have fun if they're not looking for a giant challenge.

Just Dance focuses just on the Wii remote and your ability to wave the remote in sync with the pattern shown on the screen. I have not found anything too interesting in the concept of this game.

I would personally recommend DDR, but that's mainly because of years of experience in that game and the continuous challenge it provides. It makes you move your feet, move your waist, and makes you think about how to set up a protocol for moving your feet, and often.

Guest Speed Racer

The jackass who lived in the dorm room above me freshman year had DDR. My observations:

* They definitely moved their feet a lot;

* Despite my fervent prayers, the soft pads seemed to be very, very durable;

* People who use DDR laugh quite a bit, and laugh quite loudly;

* During my "If you can't beat them, join them," campaign, I thought DDR was very fun; and

* DDR only operates between the hours of 12am and 4am.

You can bust a pretty serious move to Just Dance.

The jackass who lived in the dorm room above me freshman year had DDR. My observations:

* They definitely moved their feet a lot;

* Despite my fervent prayers, the soft pads seemed to be very, very durable;

* People who use DDR laugh quite a bit, and laugh quite loudly;

* During my "If you can't beat them, join them," campaign, I thought DDR was very fun; and

* DDR only operates between the hours of 12am and 4am.

Prior to joining them, did you contemplate murdering the occupants of the upstairs dorm room?

There's a good chance I would have gone medieval on their asses.

Guest Speed Racer

I would call them during the DDR marathons and ask them to stop, if it was past 1am or so. If they didn't, then the next morning I would call them at 6am or so, when I was getting up, and ask them how they liked it. If I was particularly pissy, I'd call before AND after my shower.

ETA: They were total gems. They left their TV/DVD on one day with the Lion King in the player, on menu. Did the same thing with Law & Order SVU once. In both instances, twenty seconds of the opening song, overandoverandover again. They were friends with the girls in the room next to me too, and would sing musicals well after 2am.

ETA: They were total gems. They left their TV/DVD on one day with the Lion King in the player, on menu. Did the same thing with Law & Order SVU once. In both instances, twenty seconds of the opening song, overandoverandover again. They were friends with the girls in the room next to me too, and would sing musicals well after 2am.

There's not a jury in this country that would have convicted you if you'd have bludgeoned them both in their sleep. Oh wait, you're not in Canada are you?

only half-joking,

KP

Guest Speed Racer

There's not a jury in this country that would have convicted you if you'd have bludgeoned them both in their sleep. Oh wait, you're not in Canada are you?

At least when that has happened in apartments I've lived in, I've been able to knock, discern whether or not they're home, then flip their circuit.

I would call them during the DDR marathons and ask them to stop, if it was past 1am or so. If they didn't, then the next morning I would call them at 6am or so, when I was getting up, and ask them how they liked it. If I was particularly pissy, I'd call before AND after my shower.

Unfortunately, most DDR players (especially the competitive ones) are douchebags. Seriously, who buys SVU on DVD? What the hell? They better be watching that as a comedy and getting high.

I find it highly confusing that people use the official name of the former communist part of Germany as an abbreviation for a dancing game. But well, it's Nintendo we're talking about, so...................:ninja

Yeah, that amuses me as well. For at least the first few times I saw that reference I was like, "The former East Germany has a video game?"