Best FIlms (and Performances) of 2010

this-space-for-rent.jpg

I figured there's a similar list for records and live shows, why not films? I guess I'll beat someone to the punch.

I'll be looking over my notes for this year to make some sort of list. I don't think I can rank them this year. I'll just put up a list. I shouldn't spend too much time worrying about number placement. :stunned

Overall, a very strange year for sure. There were some great genre films early in the year, especially January. Then there was a rather dreadful summer except for a few films that stood out. And a pretty bland fall until the last month.

I'm going to leave a list of 2010 films that I really want to see. 5 years ago (or so) there was a Mexican revival of films. This year it was the Australians turn. I sneaked a peak at some Best lists and noticed a trend of putting the following films on them. All of them were in the Boston area for about a week at a particular specialty arthouse theater. I'd be interested to see who saw these and I'll use this list, so that I can come back here for my own use.

Australia -

Animal Kingdom

Red Hill

The Square

The Loved Ones

New Zealand - Boy

England - Four Lions

England - Monsters

Well, I thought Four Lions was great - I guess it depends if you know Chris Morris's work or not. Whilst it's probably the weakest thing he's done so far in his career, it's still better than any other British film this year, and it's the only comedy that I actually laughed at. If you can laugh at suicide bombers and everything that surrounds that, then you'll love it.

If a joke like this (which Morris also wrote) makes you laugh, then that'll be a good indication of whether you'll like it or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRw1ERj2Gc