This seems like the most applicable forum for this question. Looking to start converting old VHS to DVD and wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestions on methods/software etc. Roxio has a software package that looks pretty simple for $60 and wondering if anyone has experince with this, pro or con, or with anything else.

Thanks.

My father uses the old method of having the tv/vcr/dvd-r players hooked up together. Actually, he also has the cable and a dvd player hooked up too. If you are going to go this route, it is probably best to look into getting a "switcher". This small device can help you by letting you push buttons for functions that you want to do such as dvd to dvd-r. You should also have a surge power protector, so that you don't blow a fuse.

I'm not sure which type of VHS tapes you want to transfer to dvd, but beware that about half of store bought pre-recorded tapes come with a copy guard. I'm sure that you know what that means. It protects studios from people copying tapes, so it causes the colors to bleed every 5 minutes or so. Also, some VHS tapes won't let you record at all with a copy guard. It's quite a surprise every time that you try to record something. There seems to be no consistent logic to it either.

Transferring old VHS tapes to DVD-R is a strange deal because you capture the quality of the source tape. If this is why you want some sort of software, then I'm not sure if it's worth doing. I don't know how time consuming it is at all. I hope that it isn't frame by frame. I highly doubt it.

Also, try to think about your television set. Is it HD? A lot of the stuff that I have done and my dad has done looks ok on an HDTV set. My dad likes to stretch it to fill the whole screen and it looks horrible that way because it wasn't meant for a 16:9 aspect ratio. And an HDTV set loves to magnify the snow and other artifacts that come with the original tape.

To answer your computer based question, well I use Nero to burn discs. I can't remember which software I use to rip dvds with.

I hope that this information helped. I know for me I love having my cable hooked up to a DVD-R for the sole purpose of taping off of HDTV. The problem is that certain cable companies won't let you tape off of certain premium channels. You'll get a nice big error message on the screen and your DVD-R won't even record that.

Edit: I should point out that I also use my father's system to hook up my Sony Handycam to to make a quick dvd of something from a DV tape. Sometimes it's not necessary to use Final Cut Pro all the time for some pieces that don't require editing.

Thanks guys. I know there would be quality issues but there is stuff I want to have archived; some old REM electronic press kits and old bootleg videos etc. Companies that do this charge like $25 per 2 hour DVD so I could buy that software and be ahead after 3 DVD's. I think I'll investigate a litter further and then probably buy a piece of software. The Roxio looked cool as it came with a usb plug that had the red/white/yellow RCA jacks on the other end. Just plug a vcr in and go, looks simple.