went to see him last night solo acoustic and damn was it a good show. he uses a lot of open tunings and is a great guitar player. one song he was hitting harmonics randomly and it sounded like a pedal steel guitar. got to meet him afterward. very gracious and cool guy. he's one of those dudes that doesn't really have to try. his songs are him and vice versa. it's funny, i remember rolling stone article from 1989 where he was mentioned with some other 'new' singer/songwriters so i've always been aware of him. it's just in the last few years that i'ver really started to listen closely. great lyrics.

I saw him a few months ago also. I had never seen him before, although I have his first album. Actually he was quite good andn I was both impressed with his songwriting and his guitar playing. He certainly has survived in the music biz despite not achieving great fame.

LouieB

I saw him a few months ago also. I had never seen him before, although I have his first album. Actually he was quite good andn I was both impressed with his songwriting and his guitar playing. He certainly has survived in the music biz despite not achieving great fame.

LouieB

yeah, i like the first album too. some of his other stuff has some questionable production. that seems to happen with some of the better, lesser known, songwriters. they're so focused on just playing live they don't have much studio sense. anyway, i was really surprised at how interesting and good hist guitar playing was. i just assumed he was gonna be a bluesy hack, but not at all.

I saw him live for the first time this past week as well and was very impressed -- the songs are incredible and he's a hell of a good guitarist. I was in awe of the sound he was getting out of that 12-string.

yeah, the 12 string stuff was so compelling. i really hope he does a solo live album. also a very humble and nice guy. hung out with fans after the show and made time for everyone.

Agreed. He is a very good guitar player. At least he is still out there doing the circuit. I heard the Bottle Rockets played on the same bill with im a few times during this current set of tours. Not sure when.

LouieB

Agreed. He is a very good guitar player. At least he is still out there doing the circuit. I heard the Bottle Rockets played on the same bill with im a few times during this current set of tours. Not sure when.

LouieB

we have a pretty nice singer songwriter venue here in atlanta and i am amazed at the packed schedule. there are so many of these folks out there with a guitar and merch touring. most of it is mediocre at best and hackish at worst. mcmurtry is definitely in the top tier of this.

we have a pretty nice singer songwriter venue here in atlanta and i am amazed at the packed schedule. there are so many of these folks out there with a guitar and merch touring. most of it is mediocre at best and hackish at worst. mcmurtry is definitely in the top tier of this.

...which is kind of amazing actually since he is getting to be sort of an old guy. The music business is a very tough one. Imagine trying to break into it.

LouieB

a few years ago when i went to the austin city limits festival, i was walking back to my hotel and there was a great-sounding band playing outdoors at threadgills, and i looked on the marquee and it was james mcmurtry and his band. it was sold out, but i went to a nearby gas station and got a 6-pack and watched/listened from behind the stage. great way to end the night...

a few years ago when i went to the austin city limits festival, i was walking back to my hotel and there was a great-sounding band playing outdoors at threadgills, and i looked on the marquee and it was james mcmurtry and his band. it was sold out, but i went to a nearby gas station and got a 6-pack and watched/listened from behind the stage. great way to end the night...

that is cool story! :cheers

...which is kind of amazing actually since he is getting to be sort of an old guy. The music business is a very tough one. Imagine trying to break into it.

LouieB

yeah, i looked at his tour schedule and it's grueling. i couldn't do it, even with amenities.

Never heard of him before but checked out some songs on YouTube. Been going through some girl issues this week and Right Here Now just made things a lot better! Thank you for this thread!

It is sad to see musicians like him not get a lot of attention. The way the music industry is now, I'd dare say that being mainstream could be detrimental to one's overall career and that these underdogs will find their place amongst the legends one day.

For those of you who don't know, he is the son of the novelist Larry McMurtry.

I'm not from here, I just live here....

been reading his blog and he quotes some musician as 'austin being a great place to leave your things.' may all these dudes be safe on the road.