THIS is Daryl Hall?!?!

Name of album, please.

51-%2BNJ2elHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a great freaking album.

Some of the songs sound like (the very best parts of) Hall & Oates. But then, there is stuff like "NYCNY" and some other tunes that totally throw you for a loop. And even the more straightforward stuff has really interesting twists, when you listen closely. I really, really love this album. And it has made me listen to HnO in a different way. Daryl Hall is a truly great singer. I have accepted that now.

According to the liner notes, Fripp was going to ask Hall to join King Crimson around the time this was recorded (1977). But then Hall and Oates really took off, so in came Adrian Belew, instead.

According to the liner notes, Fripp was going to ask Hall to join King Crimson around the time this was recorded (1977). But then Hall and Oates really took off, so in came Adrian Belew, instead.

Interesting. That could have been really great, or kind of terrible. Hall appears on Fripp's Exposure album. Maybe some other ones, too. If I'm not mistaken, there's an unreleased album Fripp and Hall worked on together that is supposed to be incredible. I'll have to look into that.

Interesting. That could have been really great, or kind of terrible. Hall appears on Fripp's Exposure album. Maybe some other ones, too. If I'm not mistaken, there's an unreleased album Fripp and Hall worked on together that is supposed to be incredible. I'll have to look into that.

There is one track from a Fripp album included as a bonus track -- "You Burn Me Up I'm a Cigarette". Not sure if it's from Exposure or from the unreleased one. Either way, it's a great track.

There is one track from a Fripp album included as a bonus track -- "You Burn Me Up I'm a Cigarette". Not sure if it's from Exposure or from the unreleased one. Either way, it's a great track.

There is a song on Exposure with that name, but they might be different versions.

This clears up my earlier comment about unreleased Fripp/Hall material:

http://unheard78.blogspot.com/2010/10/daryl-hall-sacred-songs.html

"Due in part to Hall's then label, RCA, and manager Tommy Mottola (of Sony fame), the album was denied release due to fears it was uncommercial. Hall and Fripp's reaction was to share copies of the album with dj's, writers and fans in a push to get the word out. The album finally saw the light of day in 1980 and didn't sell badly, but the label didn't support it or release any singles, damning it to obscurity. As bad as that is, what's worse is the debacle that followed with Fripp's first solo album, Exposure. Hall contributed vocals to eight of that album's songs but Mottola again decided to butt in. This time he told Fripp that he would only allow two of Hall's vocals to appear on the album unless the album was credited to Hall & Fripp and released on RCA. Fripp kept two Hall vocals and had the rest re-recorded by other performers, although versions of most of Hall's performances for the album have been released as of 2006 via Fripp's own DGM label on a two disc reissue of Exposure."

This is still the best song Daryl Hall ever did as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZngTkp54I

This is still the best song Daryl Hall ever did as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZngTkp54I

It's a great song. And I think that I agree with you.

But there is no ALBUM that he ever did, that is as solid, front-to-back, as Sacred Songs. Have you heard it, Richard?

Hall and Oates could have gone a completely different way. Check out

Hall_Oates_War_Babies.jpg

Produced by Todd Rundgren and backed by Utopia. There has always been a prog rock texture in the background for these guys.

This clears up my earlier comment about unreleased Fripp/Hall material:

http://unheard78.blogspot.com/2010/10/daryl-hall-sacred-songs.html

"Due in part to Hall's then label, RCA, and manager Tommy Mottola (of Sony fame), the album was denied release due to fears it was uncommercial. Hall and Fripp's reaction was to share copies of the album with dj's, writers and fans in a push to get the word out. The album finally saw the light of day in 1980 and didn't sell badly, but the label didn't support it or release any singles, damning it to obscurity. As bad as that is, what's worse is the debacle that followed with Fripp's first solo album, Exposure. Hall contributed vocals to eight of that album's songs but Mottola again decided to butt in. This time he told Fripp that he would only allow two of Hall's vocals to appear on the album unless the album was credited to Hall & Fripp and released on RCA. Fripp kept two Hall vocals and had the rest re-recorded by other performers, although versions of most of Hall's performances for the album have been released as of 2006 via Fripp's own DGM label on a two disc reissue of Exposure."

Reading this, it would see like Tommy Mottola was hellbent on derailing Hall's prog career. But consider that before Darryl Hall, the term blue eyed soul was probably spoken with irony. Hall had/has a really unique vocal style and, ultimately, Mottola was a backer and fervent supporter of Hall and Oates as a urban soul group. Ultimately, he was correct as they were immensely successful and for a 5 to 6 year span, they were one of the biggest acts in music.

It's a great song. And I think that I agree with you.

But there is no ALBUM that he ever did, that is as solid, front-to-back, as Sacred Songs. Have you heard it, Richard?

Yeah, Sacred Songs is probably his best overall record. Listening to it right now actually.

Reading this, it would see like Tommy Mottola was hellbent on derailing Hall's prog career.

With the benfit of hindsight, that was obviously a smart business decision. I know nothing about Mottola, but perhaps he was savvy enough to know that prog circa 1977 was public enemy #1 in the eyes of a lot of musicians and music fans, and he was afraid Hall's association with Fripp would derail his commercial success.

On a different, but related, note, I read an interview with Hall a couple years ago. He basically said he's a singer for pay, and not someone who would bother with music if there was no more money in it. Maybe his Fripp/Mottola experience made him feel that way, and H&O either isn't what he really wants to be doing, or is too limiting stylistically.