http://www.centro-matic.com/

i've been wanting to get into this dude for years. i recently went to their website and they have a free 24 track sampler for newbies. pretty cool! i've been enjoying it and will def be picking up some albums in the near future. what to start with though? the guy is so damn prolific. i guess they have a new album coming out in June. anyway, thought some folks would be interested.

c

Will is an incredible artist. It took me a long time (like 2 1/2 years of trying) to get acclimated to his vocal style, but once I finally got it I was hooked. I'm glad I never gave up! I've been listening to his various projects frequently for about 6 months. It crazy when I realize I've got somewhere around 10 of his albums and there are still MANY to go.

Here are my personal favorites:

Centro-Matic: Fort Recovery (I'd probably start with this one)

South San Gabriel: Welcome, Convalescence

Will Johnson: Vultures Await

I'm dying to see Centro-Matic live. I assume a new album means to come. I'll be keeping any eye out.

Oh, and check out this video of Will painting the cover of the new album if you haven't already:

http://vimeo.com/16508404

Will is an incredible artist. It took me a long time (like 2 1/2 years of trying) to get acclimated to his vocal style, but once I finally got it I was hooked. I'm glad I never gave up! I've been listening to his various projects frequently for about 6 months. It crazy when I realize I've got somewhere around 10 of his albums and there are still MANY to go.

Here are my personal favorites:

Centro-Matic: Fort Recovery (I'd probably start with this one)

South San Gabriel: Welcome, Convalescence

Will Johnson: Vultures Await

I'm dying to see Centro-Matic live. I assume a new album means to come. I'll be keeping any eye out.

Oh, and check out this video of Will painting the cover of the new album if you haven't already:

http://vimeo.com/16508404

i've heard a bit of fort recovery. it's the voice for me too, but damn the production, instrumentations, tunes, lyrics all are right up my alley. he is touring in june and he's coming to atlanta, so hopefully i'll see him.

I've been dying to see him for a while, too. Thankfully the wait ends this June.

Centro-Matic/Will Johnson Tour Dates

As far as Will Johnson albums go, I LOVE Vultures Await and really like Fort Recovery, but, for me, this is the pièce de résistance:

41XRJNV1KDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been dying to see him for a while, too. Thankfully the wait ends this June.

Centro-Matic/Will Johnson Tour Dates

As far as Will Johnson albums go, I LOVE Vultures Await and really like Fort Recovery, but, for me, this is the pièce de résistance:

41XRJNV1KDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The tour date closest to me is about a two hour trip. I believe it's a Saturday, but I don't think I can pull it off.

And I agree on Love You Just the Same. My favorite Centro-matic album after Fort Recovery.

I have dipped my toe into Will Johnson's work but need to explore more. I have his solo record, which is great, and also the South San Gabriel album 'The Carlton Chronicles'. I'll defiantly download the freebie on his Centro-Matic website.

I have dipped my toe into Will Johnson's work but need to explore more. I have his solo record, which is great, and also the South San Gabriel album 'The Carlton Chronicles'. I'll defiantly download the freebie on his Centro-Matic website.

def check it out. it has really helped me get into it. i've found several tunes that resonate with me so i'm gonna check those albums out. i just love his guitar sound and warm production. the voice is growing on me and the lyrics are at times validating and other times mysterious, but always original and interesting. looking forward to seeing them in june. also interested in checking out that album will did with jason molina.

Will has a new EP that was just released:

http://www.undertowstore.com/product/will-johnson-little-raider-cd-ep

The Undertow store is pretty cool. CD's are reasonably priced, shipping isn't bad, and the immediately email you a link to download a mp3 copy of the album. I purchased the EP and a copy All the Falsest Hearts Can Try. :blush

he's got so much shit out there! however, it seems like he releases everything, which is good for us. the forum on his site is nice too.

he's got so much shit out there! however, it seems like he releases everything, which is good for us.

I'm continually impressed by the consistent quality coming from a guy who has released so many recordings. I don't own everything, but I've got a pretty good sampling and it's all wonderful. Including the Little Raider EP. I'm almost finished with my first listen and I'm quite pleased. Beautiful stuff.

I'm continually impressed by the consistent quality coming from a guy who has released so many recordings. I don't own everything, but I've got a pretty good sampling and it's all wonderful. Including the Little Raider EP. I'm almost finished with my first listen and I'm quite pleased. Beautiful stuff.

yeah, it's like the dude is almost too good. great riffs, lyrics, and production. he also some how throws memorable hooks in there too. definitely a guy who has figured out how to grow as an artist and not totally change his art. (if that makes any sense :)

Tine to plug the GloNo/Whiskey Bender vids from a few years ago. Check them out here. Not only were they fun to participate in, the band was super nice. There is a two part short on both bands and also a great solo set from Will. You will need to scroll and find them on this page.

LouieB

Tine to plug the GloNo/Whiskey Bender vids from a few years ago. Check them out here. Not only were they fun to participate in, the band was super nice. There is a two part short on both bands and also a great solo set from Will. You will need to scroll and find them on this page.

LouieB

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it for viewing later.

LouieB

will check this out.

doing some research on will and he played drums with son volt in 2007. pretty cool. also, wasn't there news that he was involved with a mermaid ave type thing with jay farrar? hope that sees the light of day. as far as albums, i'm gonna start with Navigational. i love that tune Numbers One and Three. :cheers

will check this out.

doing some research on will and he played drums with son volt in 2007. pretty cool. also, wasn't there news that he was involved with a mermaid ave type thing with jay farrar? hope that sees the light of day. as far as albums, i'm gonna start with Navigational. i love that tune Numbers One and Three. :cheers

Yes, I believe Jim James and Anders Parker were also involved.

Interesting note for you: The songs on Navigational were recorded in a studio owned by Mr. Farrar.

Navigational is one of the albums I haven't heard yet. You'll have to let us know what you think of it.

Yes, I believe Jim James and Anders Parker were also involved.

Interesting note for you: The songs on Navigational were recorded in a studio owned by Mr. Farrar.

Navigational is one of the albums I haven't heard yet. You'll have to let us know what you think of it.

right it was recorded at jay's studio. cool. i'll give a review after i listen to it a while.

Talk of the Woody Guthrie album led me over to Jay's website and I read this recent post from someone on his message board:

"i talked with will johnson of centromatic a few weeks ago in denton, tx. who was working on that stuff with farrar. i asked him he said. the album and artwork are done and that it would be released early next year with full tour to follow. they had been waiting for a time when everyone involved could tour. anders parker and jim james as well. so that's something right there."

I hope this finally happens!

• 2 weeks later...

A video shot by someone else, but in the process of being edited by John Boston was recently scrapped. John was not happy with the actual footage, but had worked hard on editing into something decent, but I guess they gave up the ghost on this one.

LouieB

Ordered mine too. Enjoying the immediate download. Sounds good. I wish Centro-matic was playing somewhere closer to me than atlanta this summer. Last winter got to see Will and Anders Parker on the living room tour and Will was great (so was anders).

Ordered mine too. Enjoying the immediate download. Sounds good. I wish Centro-matic was playing somewhere closer to me than atlanta this summer. Last winter got to see Will and Anders Parker on the living room tour and Will was great (so was anders).

I was looking at this but it didn't mention immediate download. Heading back. Thanks!

i'd love to see one of those living room shows. sounds so cool. my musical partner and i basically set up our own living room shows for friends and family. lot easier than playing 'out'.

anyway, i'm enjoying vultures await.