How's everybody post-Irene?

Ugh, I hate to dash anyone's hope, but I live in eastern NC where Irene hit. Status for my area: not good. Irene was massive and slow moving as a hurricane. It took her about 36 to come into NC and leave in total width (almost the size of Texas). I've been through several of these, and I can tell you that this one was the most relentless because of how slow-moving it was. Floyd in '99 was more intense and caused far more damage, but it only hung around for about ten hours. Irene drenched us with over a foot of rain, and she hated trees - there are thousands of them down across the region (probably due to the previously dry summer). I live somewhat inland, so I had it a little better. My power was only out for 30 hours. My mother's place (an assisted living center) took on water, which has since receded. My sister has a nightmare on her hands: early on during the storm several shingles were blown from her roof, causing heavy leaking into her sunroom. The shingles sandpapered her car in several places. A massive tree fell in her driveway, but caused no damage. Unfortunately another tall tree crashed down on her roof, piercing it and causing heavy leaking into the bedroom of her deceased son, who was KIA in Afghanistan three years ago. Fortunately some of my other family members were there to help place and (continually) dump buckets, as well remove and protect his awards and memorials that were in danger of being ruined. She has no power (but has a generator) and probably won't for days, and then the county shut off the water supply because of damaged pipes in the system. She's looking at tens of thousands of dollars in damages. I couldn't get over to her to help because the storm wouldn't ease up until well after the curfew hit. I did manage to get there this morning, but I had to make four detours because of downed trees and water. I tried to get her to come stay with me, but she's apparently going to try to stick it out so she can clean up and meet with insurance reps. Poor lady has had nothing but one thing after another the last three years. If anyone deserves a change in luck, it's my sister.

Ah, god, that's horrible, heat. My deepest sympathies to your sister, and hopes that nothing precious was lost, and that her insurance will cover the damages. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope her fortunes will take a turn for the better. She has had way more than her share of grief.

Power's out in rural CT, but we got the generator going so all's pretty good. Kids' first day of school is cancelled. We've had a whole bunch of bridges wash out and a giant tree fell over our road so it's slow going. The police are being pretty testy.

Ah, god, that's horrible, heat. My deepest sympathies to your sister, and hopes that nothing precious was lost, and that her insurance will cover the damages. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope her fortunes will take a turn for the better. She has had way more than her share of grief.

Thank you for you're kind words, kidsmoke. Nothing precious was lost. They were all quick to remove everything from the damaged areas. She'd rather lose the entire house than his memorials, some of which were handmade by caring people (some of whom she doesn't even know).

We just got our power back today in upstate New York. Many of the surrounding towns have been devastated by flooding and countless trees are still down on power lines all over. We had a big one fall just missing our house by about 8 feet and there is another resting on the phone lines out front. Friends had to evacuate their homes when the water got too high to be safe. I feel horrible about the many farms that were flooded at what is their peak season.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, man, that is a lot of damage to have to contend with! I wish her all the best in getting it all sorted and back to normal.

Thank you, Donna. As you can imagine the insurance companies and contractors here are swamped, so it will take awhile to get it all back together. Luckily, her boyfriend and his friends are all pretty handy and, most importantly, available to help immediately.