Bargain Bin finds!

I thought that we had a thread started for this topic already, but I couldn't find it.

So, here is a new thread to brag and tell about the cool stuff you found for next to nothing...

I just picked this one up for a buck:

d54281vg9o2.jpg

A much-needed and well-assembled compilation of the artist's non-Velvet Crush material' date=' The Ballad of Ric Menck collects 11 sparkling indie single sides, all of them rendered with master pop craftsmanship. Perhaps most notable are the half-dozen cuts Menck recorded with Paul Chastain and friends under the name the Springfields for the legendary Sarah Records label, among them beautifully jangly originals such as "Sunflower" and "Wonder," as well as covers like the Hollies' "Clown" and Matthew Sweet's "Are We Gonna Be Alright"; as with the pair of Choo Choo Train tracks which lead off the disc, this is all essential material which has been out of print for far too long -- a tip of the hat to Summershine for finally making it available again.

[b']-4.5 Stars[/b]

Have yet to hear it, but it sounds promising.

Just went to Border's over the weekend, and picked up a bunch of CDs for $5 or less, a piece:

The Sea and Cake - The Moonlight Butterfly

Black Francis - Nonstoperotic

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tounge

Tom Zé - Estuando a Bossa: Nordeste Plaza

Not a bad haul.

Oh, and that Ric Menck disc is pretty good. Not the 4.5-star masterpiece that AMG proclaimed it, but still rock-solid power pop that's an enjoyable listen and (strongly) adheres to the conventions of the genre.

Yeah I did the same thing. The Borders here is closing in 4 days so all CD's on sale. I got Grinderman 2, The Joy Formidable, Superchunk, Buzzcocks, and a bunch others.

I'm thinking that at least part of Borders problems is the fact that these CD's are %80 discounted and still cost $5.

Also did Borders the other day and picked up:

Panda Bear - Tomboy - $3.40

The Roots - Tipping Point - $3.00

TV On The Radio - Nine Types of Light - $3.40

Carl Broemel - All Birds Say - $2.40

A week or two ago I grabbed:

Low - C'mon

Roots - How I Got Over

Nicole Atkins - Mondo Amore

Chopin and Champagne Compilation

These were in the $5-$6 range.

I will miss Borders. Used to buy many cd's there with 40% off coupons and gift cards through Discover rewards. I was able to consistently buy new music for $7-10 bucks, not to mention the giftcard perk.

Two of the best things I've ever pulled out of a dollar bin are:

Ornette Coleman - Twins.

Miles Davis - Get Up With It.

I've never seen either of those before or since on vinyl at any price, and even the cds were pretty hard to find at the time.

I will miss Borders.

Me too. :( I wasn't so lucky at finding good music bargains there, but I was lucky at finding great books on the reduced price shelves. Their cafe will be missed too.

My bargain bin strengths are books and clothes so sorry I've derailed the topic a bit here, but I had to lament the loss of Borders.

I've had a lot of finds lately in the dollar bin. I didn't pay a buck for all of these but no more than $4...

Pearl Jam - Riot Act

Goo goo Dolls - Superstar Carwash, A Boy Named Goo

Coldplay - X & Y

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Pedro the Lion - Control, Tour EP and Winners Never Quit

Beth Orton - Daybreaker

Teenage Fanclub - A Short cut to...

41rY2p9Ri2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one is available at Amazon, used for $0.01. I picked up my copy for the same, from the same place and it is more than worth it. A really, really great album. Trying to think of a comparison, but am coming up a little short. I guess that most Wilco fans will like it a lot, but it doesn't really sound like Wilco.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Circle-C/dp/B000008EBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1316431492&sr=1-1

And, here is a review written by the guy who recommended the album to me:

A simply astounding debut that manages to conjure up both Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones while sounding like neither. This is classic rock played like art punk, purposely avoiding any verse/chorus/verse structure in the songwriting yet still yielding an arena-full of sly hooks. The production by John Porter (Stone Roses) offers a near glossy warmth that arguably shaves a few too many rough edges off the proceedings, but the recording's clarity and definition more than make up for any loss of aggression. Startlingly original, endlessly inventive, and possibly too talented for their own good, Copyright had nowhere to go but down.
  • 1 month later...

c02331nie85.jpg

Listening to this one now, and posting about it this morning reminded me that I found it for $1 at the Tower Records import bargain bin back in 1995 or so. Nice find now that it's out of print and selling for as much as $125! Plus, it's just a great collection.

• 7 years later...