I'd heard the name but never gave him a thought before Wilco covered "I love my Label". I went out and bought Jesus of Cool and Labor of Lust today. Pretty good stuff. Great production. It kinda reminds me of Badfinger and the Beatles but cooler. I have a feeling that I'm going to really get into this guy. I know he's still recording. What should I go for next?

I also have a feeling this will lead to an Elvis Costello obsession.

I also have a feeling this will lead to an Elvis Costello obsession.

Funny you say that, at both Toronto shows recently he did a awesome cover of Elvis Costello's Alison. I haven't listen to him much to give any album recommendations but I would definitely check out that cover.

Nick's "Brentford Trilogy" which consists of 3 records: Impossible Bird, Dig My Mood, and The Convincer is definitely worth getting. For older Nick stuff, check out his early '70s band Brinsley Schwarz. They released some great records, I'd recommend starting with: The New Favourites of Brinsley Schwarz and Nervous on the Road.

My favorite Nick stuff is probably his work with his early band -- Brinsley Schwarz.

Think if The Band came from England instead of North America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSlyn0WoSjc

Bob Andrews is probably my favorite rock keyboard player ever.

EDIT:

And, I envy you the discoveries that you are about to make. Nick Lowe has been so good for so long that there is a lot to find of his out there!

Enjoy.

EDIT:

And, I envy you the discoveries that you are about to make. Nick Lowe has been so good for so long that there is a lot to find of his out there!

Enjoy.

Thanks for the video! That was great. And I concur with your last statement, totally. Like the am/pm minimart slogan, "Too much good stuff!" :yes

yep that was a serious attemp to get rid off UAartists(became a hudge hit in Japan)

Of course, looking at some of the comments after the clip, pretty much everyone's still oblivious to the fact.

There's a great old tv documentary about Rockpile called "Born Fighter." It features the band in the studio, mostly Nick and Dave, and you can tell Nick is just a pile of issues - Dave tells him that he has to learn to "switch off." Nick insults Dave's singing. The whole thing's on youtube, but the sound is crap there, which makes the songs painful to hear. In an interview a couple years before his death, Jay Bennett mentioned watching it and commented on the dynamic between the two.

Of course, looking at some of the comments after the clip, pretty much everyone's still oblivious to the fact.

There's a great old tv documentary about Rockpile called "Born Fighter." It features the band in the studio, mostly Nick and Dave, and you can tell Nick is just a pile of issues - Dave tells him that he has to learn to "switch off." Nick insults Dave's singing. The whole thing's on youtube, but the sound is crap there, which makes the songs painful to hear. In an interview a couple years before his death, Jay Bennett mentioned watching it and commented on the dynamic between the two.

"Born Fighters" Megaupload link here:http://viachicago.org/topic/45917-rockpile-live-at-montreux-1980/