Redbone (not Leon)

It's the Jim Ford connection that got me looking into these guys (of course). I figure that, if Jim Ford is collaborating with the leader(s) of the band, it's gonna be something worth hearing.

Any fans?

Suggestions on where to start?

Is a compilation good enough, or should I go ahead and buy complete albums?

They recorded the original version of "Niki Hokey" and, along with Jim Ford, Lolly Vegas co-wrote one of my favorite songs ever (which it looks like the band did NOT record) -- "Ju Ju Man".

So: looking at the disco...

Redbone?

Of "Come and get your love" fame?

I'll be honest here. I was never able to get beyond the schtick of them wearing native american (aka Indian) garb.

Probably shows how shallow I was in my teens.

huga chucka huga chucka....I can't stop this feeling...deep inside of me...

That Redbone??

LouieB

I don't think that was Redbone.

Oh yea, Blue Swede. How could I forget that?

LouieB

You are VERY lucky. I wish I could forget Blue Swede...along with Paper Lace and Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

You can probably find their songs on Youtube. That is what I do when I want to hear something. I can't imagine too many people here knowing about their songs outside of their big hit single.

It's the same tack that I take.

I have a bunch of albums that I want to listen to today (see the "Now Playing" thread), but YouTube is the plan for if and when I get through these albums.

Still, just looking for some thoughts/convo about these guys, if it even seems to be worthwhile.

Just watched this vid:

And, I was all like: "Awww yeah, I remember THIS song!"

It's still a pretty cool song, in that mid-70's, easy listening funk kinda way, but it does not make me want to look into the band any more. As stated, earlier, it's that Jim Ford connection that really piques my interest, so I'm wondering what they have that is a little harder-edged, quirky, and more-fun than the standard Am radio fare.

Gonna go listen to more.

Any advice is appreciated.

You are VERY lucky. I wish I could forget Blue Swede...along with Paper Lace and Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

Well I didn't forget the song or those others you mentioned, nor many hundreds of other radio fare I used to hear.

LouieB

Well I didn't forget the song or those others you mentioned, nor many hundreds of other radio fare I used to hear.

LouieB

It wasn't a comment on your memory...it is a comment of the horribleness of the above cited bands.

These guys had something going on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEuSGGmX-c

As stated, earlier, it's that Jim Ford connection that really piques my interest, so I'm wondering what they have that is a little harder-edged, quirky, and more-fun than the standard Am radio fare.

I'm pretty sure they only co-wrote 2 songs with Jim so don't expect much Fordesque stuff from these guys. The stuff I know of theirs is poppy and a bit funky, but they don't have the country-soul sound of Ford, or his knack for songwriting. They had a couple decent records in the early 70s, nothing essential mind you.

Hey Todd how about this one:

\1-CD DigiPac (4-plated) with 32-page booklet, 30 tracks. Playing time approx. 79 mns. - Unique home demos. 29 previously unreleased acoustic recordings from the mythical creator of 1969's 'Harlan County'. Hear Jim Ford's creativity captured by a private cassette recorder in his living room. Many tracks on this anthology would be potential hits in the hands of today's artists. Stunning musical moments are interrupted by friends, drug deals, etc. Liner notes by singer, songwriter, musician, artist (and Jim Ford fanatic) Jeb Loy Nichols. - Jim Ford is the mythic artist behind 1969's legendary country soul album 'Harlan County'. After recording his sole album he hung out with Sly Stone and wrote for artists and friends like Bobby Womack, PJ Proby, The Temptations & Nick Lowe before completely disappearing from the scene in a haze of drugs and irrational behavior. When Bear Family managed to track Ford down in 2006 he was living in North California in a simple mobile home loaded with reel to reel tapes and cassettes. Some of these masters were included by Bear Family on popular anthologies like 'Sounds Of Our Time' and 'Point Of No Return.' - This brand new CD, 'Demolition Expert' (Ford was a demolition expert when stationed in Germany during his stint in the U.S. army), sets focus on Jim Ford's acoustic home recordings. It is a unique opportunity for the listener to hear Jim's creativity flow. - You're invited to Jim Ford's living room to witness him come up with some truly soul shattering musical moments. You will also hear Jim be interrupted with drug deals on the phone and friends chattering and singing along. The recordings are a welcome and essential addition to any Jim Ford collection.

http://www.bear-family.de/repertoire/country-bearfamily/demolition-expert-rare-acoustic-demos.html?lang=1

Hey Todd how about this one:

\1-CD DigiPac (4-plated) with 32-page booklet, 30 tracks. Playing time approx. 79 mns. - Unique home demos. 29 previously unreleased acoustic recordings from the mythical creator of 1969's 'Harlan County'. Hear Jim Ford's creativity captured by a private cassette recorder in his living room. Many tracks on this anthology would be potential hits in the hands of today's artists. Stunning musical moments are interrupted by friends, drug deals, etc. Liner notes by singer, songwriter, musician, artist (and Jim Ford fanatic) Jeb Loy Nichols. - Jim Ford is the mythic artist behind 1969's legendary country soul album 'Harlan County'. After recording his sole album he hung out with Sly Stone and wrote for artists and friends like Bobby Womack, PJ Proby, The Temptations & Nick Lowe before completely disappearing from the scene in a haze of drugs and irrational behavior. When Bear Family managed to track Ford down in 2006 he was living in North California in a simple mobile home loaded with reel to reel tapes and cassettes. Some of these masters were included by Bear Family on popular anthologies like 'Sounds Of Our Time' and 'Point Of No Return.' - This brand new CD, 'Demolition Expert' (Ford was a demolition expert when stationed in Germany during his stint in the U.S. army), sets focus on Jim Ford's acoustic home recordings. It is a unique opportunity for the listener to hear Jim's creativity flow. - You're invited to Jim Ford's living room to witness him come up with some truly soul shattering musical moments. You will also hear Jim be interrupted with drug deals on the phone and friends chattering and singing along. The recordings are a welcome and essential addition to any Jim Ford collection.

http://www.bear-fami...mos.html?lang=1

Oh, it's on my radar and it's next in my queue as the next thing to purchase!

Oh, it's on my radar and it's next in my queue as the next thing to purchase!

Wow, didn't know about this one. I have all the Ford reissues so I'll definitely be all over this.