Under-appreciated drummer: Michael Lee

Does anybody else think deceased drummer for Page and Plant in the mid 90s Michael Lee is amazing and way under-appreciated?

I'm specifically talking about his performance in the DVD No Quarter: Page and Plant Unledded and particularly on the songs Gallows Pole and What Is And What Should Never Be.

I saw both tours of Page and Plant with Lee and I saw Page's Outrider tour in the late 80s with Jason Bonham on drums. I think very highly of Jason Bonham, but I'm always blown away by the exhuberent and powerful playing of Michael Lee and I never hear any one sing his praises. Filling John Bonham's shoes is a tall tall order, but Lee did it better than anyone and probably better than anyone else could've, IMO.

He played drums with Echo & the Bunnymen on a couple of their albums.

Interesting. I woldn't have guessed. Based on that performance of Thank You, I feel he was the most authentically Zeppelin sounding drummer Plant and Page have worked with since Bonham died.

Apparently he also did a stint in Thin Lizzy (after Lynott had died) and in The Cult, but I've never heard that stuff. He died in 2008 of epilptic seizure.

Apparently he also did a stint in Thin Lizzy (after Lynott had died) and in The Cult, but I've never heard that stuff. He died in 2008 of epilptic seizure.

I read his Wikipedia entry. It's funny that his old band kicked him out for trying out for The Cult "behind their backs." What rock drummer trying to make a career in music wouldn't try out for The Cult if the gig were available?

Yeah, he looks like he's in heaven, living the rock drummer's ultimate dream, playing Zepp tunes with Jimmy and Robert, just beaming. Every great rock band has a great drummer. If the drummer ain't great, neither is the band, IMO.