RIP: Earl Scruggs

Check him with the Byrds - second song is a lovely version of 'You Ain't Going Nowhere'.

I really like this comment posted on this: "It is so wonderful to see this clip. Earl Scruggs was and is such an inspiration to all musicians. At a time when the old and the young were really suspicious of each other (mostly because of pot and the vietnam war) Earl extended his hand to the young folks and acknowledged that they were part of the tradition of music too. Like Johnny Cash, he is a real American treasure."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXulD-gxuw

Damn.

Not too many folks have a whole style of music, or in this case a way of playing their instrument, named after them -- Scruggs-style banjo.

Rest in peace Earl.

This is very sad. Earl was a true innovator. I only saw him once, which was at the November 1969 Vietnam Moritorium march on Washington. It is mentioned in one of the other posts how he was one of the few country musicians to lend his name to the effort to end the war. To say he was influential is an understatement.

Sadly Earl developed arthritis later in life which impeded his playing. But his kids sure became good musicians. RIP Earl.

LouieB

88 isn't bad. I'll differ with some of the sentiments above and say that rather than being sad about his passsing, we should be celebrating his life abd contribution to music. Thanks, Mr. Skruggs, rest in peace.

88 isn't bad. I'll differ with some of the sentiments above and say that rather than being sad about his passsing, we should be celebrating his life and contribution to music. Thanks, Mr. Skruggs, rest in peace.

This one is a bit hard to digest. I thought he had already passed, so I find this hitting me a bit harder than I would have expected.

The man was such an innovator...