Hi all,

I am in the market for an AV Receiver. I am currently using a 10 year old Denon cd player to run sound for my TV, Blu Ray player (via the TV), turntable, Roku (also via the TV), my computer, and sometimes my iPod. As you can guess this involves lots of different cords, changing of chords to use different devices and not the best sound quality for anything but the CD player itself.

I would say I have about $500 to spend, but any advice on cheaper models would be helpful. Only the Bluray player and the TV have HDMI output; everything else is the on the yellow and red cords. My computer only has the single headphone jack, but it does produce sterol sound. Also I set up my computer to stream to my TV, via the Roku last week, so no longer have to hook up the computer to anything (TV or receiver).

Thanks.

I think Onkyo receivers do a pretty good job for the price. I would use the internet to look up reviews and opinions. CNET is always a good place to stop to see what they recommend, and there might be some other sites that look at AV equipment in depth (I know I've seen them, just can't remember the names).

Very happy with an Onkyo 608 I got two Christmases ago. around $400 I think. the ipod dock was annoyingly expensive ($70), but accessories often are.

favorite feature: "Zone 2" which allows you to drive a separate pair of speakers with something other than what's driving the 5.1 video in the main room. I listen to music in the kitchen a lot even if others are watching tv or a movie with the surround in the family room. other brands have that too, most of them also call it "zone 2".

Thank you for the replies. I have looked over the interwebs, and quite frankly there are tons of receivers and some how more reviews. I have looked at an Onkyo many times. Also a Harman kardon, that has the some of the best amazon reviews I have seen.

The zone 2 feature seems really freaking cool. I didn't know about that one.

Any advice on buying in a store (either Best Buy or home theater store) vs buying online?