Might Have To Drop Out Of College

Found out today that I have lost my grant for school. I have been working on an undergraduate degree since 2006, and have changed my major a total of 4 times. As a result, I have too many credits to qualify for any more aid.

Basically, I shot myself in the foot with the school's own gun. I couldn't complete the requirements in any of the majors I tried to be in (i.e.: couldn't make it through their standardized testing, final recitals, etc.).

I went from English > Music Education > Education > Communications > English: Writing

This past semester I finally switched back to English, which was going to be my major originally back in '06. I was finally feeling good about my grades and stuff, and then come to find out, the grant for the fall is gone because I've exceeded the 150% completion mark.

Have any of you faced a similar situation. I'm really upset about it. Any advise? College is so expensive. I've already got about $12,000 in loan debt.

Sorry to hear about that, Sarah! It sounds like you were blindsided. Wonder how many students know about that rule until it's too late?Things like that are sometimes evident, yes--but in the fine print where it's easy to overlook.

Are there other kinds of grants available?

Another idea is to see if there's a local community college there that has a 2-year career prep program in journalistic writing or some other career prep area that interests you or that you're suited toward.
Good luck! Advice is always take it or leave it, of course. And if you have to drop out--at least for now--it isn't a dead end. Things change and you never know what will happen in the future to land you back into an education.